TS Coolant leak - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 07-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
TS Coolant leak

Driving to work tonight, just chilling out and then I casually look at my temp gauge approaching the red!!! So I pull over, check the car and the coolant tank is basically empty. A quick check reveals the leak coming from the passenger side near where the air filter is etc. So I park up, get my 'Top Gear challenge backup car' (very boring very reliable Lancer coupe) and head off. Come back to the Alfa later that night armed with a big water bottle, fill it up and to my surprise it didn't just **** straight out like my GTV did when it blew a heater hose. So I started the car up, and let it get to operating temp, then try turning on the heater, and no heat. But also no water leak. 5 minutes of running it on the side of the road and the level didn't change so felt I was OK to head home. I get home, check the level and find its well below minimum but the temp hadn't shot up just yet. The water is leaking from several places down there from what I can see, but could be a shot heater hose that's leaking and the coolant then flows down multiple ways? There's like 3 different spots down there that its leaking from.

I thought maybe trying to crank up the heater would've triggered this response when I was running it on the side of the road, but there was no heat coming out even when at operating temp. There's no water puddles in the foot well that I'm aware of either..

Suppose my question really is why would the heater hose not leak with the heater turned on, then when I drive home with the aircon on full bore it loses most of the coolant out of a heater hose? Are there any other possibilities of what the problem could be?

Slightly ticked off that my 'new' (to me) 156 has crapped itself faster than my GTV ever did. It's a 1999 156 2.0TS with 200k km on it. Bout that time for new heater/rad hoses lol
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Staffordshire
prob the rad leaking and water running off rad support. but there are also water pipes that side also.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 07-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
Definitely not coming from the radiator. It's worth noting that my thermostat is always open so always pressure in there.

It's probably a heater hose I just have to be arsed finding which one. Don't particularly feel like a $250 trip to the mechanic like for every other hose I've done in an Alfa.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

coolant , leak