Alfa 147 2 ltr Selespeed lusso. Oil leak - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 30-11-12 Thread Starter
County: Surrey

Member car:

Alfa 147

Alfa 147 2 ltr Selespeed lusso. Oil leak

Hi my names Andrea and I am new to this site so hi to all.
I've had my Alfa 147 for a year and I've had several issues, however I've overcome most of these but I have a persistent oil leak?? I had a new oil filter fitted and a new sump box gasket but I'm still losing oil? Currently I'm putting in about 1 litre a fortnight, there is a stain on my driveway and I've attempted to look to see if I can see the leak but I can't for the life of me figure it out and I would sincerely appreciate any help or guidance.

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Many Twinspark engines do consume a fair amount of much mileage are you doing every fortnight? If you were doing say 1500 miles, then the consumption wouldn't be beyond normal....

However you do say you have a stain on the drive, so maybe a leak is partly responsible....only way to really check is remove the undershield (if still fitted), clean up the whole engine area, and then check for fresh leaks....You could also try spreading some absorbent material - cat litter is good - under the front of the car to determine where the leak is, as the oil will tend to drip fairly directly down, although it can sometimes be sneaky and track alomg a casting....

Common leak points apart from the sump joint (there isn't a gasket, by the way, its just a sealing compound that is used) and the oil filter, are the crank seals at the timing belt end and the clutch end.

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alfa , leak , ltr , lusso , oil , selespeed