156 2.0TS (CF3) HT Lead Meltdown - advice please.. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 25-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Alfa 156

156 2.0TS (CF3) HT Lead Meltdown - advice please..

Last week I had the engine light come on, so this weekend I set down to diagnose the fault.

I dropped the coil packs & ht leads off to check the plugs to find that I had a failed plug, and gases had been escaping between the plug body and the ceramic insulator which has cooked the HT lead.

It took 3.5 hours with a home brew hoover attachment made out of a drinking straw and a wad of paper towels, and a scraper made out of the metal sping wire from an old wiper blade to scrape all the plastic and carbon away to get the old plug out.

I have now dropped an old NGK plug in, and I have a HT lead on order from Alfa Workshop, which should be here by Wednesday.

The big question, is it wise to run it with the secondary plug ht lead on cylinder 1 completely removed from the coil pack??

Agruably the car should actually run better as 1st cylinder now running with decent compression .

I suspect the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask, as I only used the car 3 days per week, Monday - Wednesday typically, 25-30 miles each day.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by WorsleyBaz; 25-11-12 at 16:58.
Sponsored Links
Are you in Worsley? If you are, and you can get to Stoneclough nr Radcliffe tomorrow (I'll be in all day), I've got a TS plug lead you can have (technically I've got four).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 20ts , advice , cf3 , lead , meltdown , plug