Suspension issues - what else can it be??!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 25-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Carmarthenshire
Suspension issues - what else can it be??!!

Hi all, in addition to the problem with the lights on the dash of my 147 JTD 16v M-Jet (still working on those!), we have an issue with the near side front suspension..... it was making dreadful clonking noises on the uneven country roads we live on down here in south wales, so we have changed:

Lower suspension arms
Upper suspensions arms
Anti roll bar drop links
Top strut mounting (shock absorber mounting)

Whilst this has made a big difference, there is still a noise coming from the front near side when you go over a bump or dip in the road. It sounds like its coming from the top of the suspension, which is why we changed the top strut mounting, but it didn't make a difference

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else it could be? The only thing we haven't changed is the anti roll bar rubbers, mainly because its a nightmare of a job and I cant see any play in them....... suggestions very welcome....thanks guys!!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire
Are all the bolts tourqed up correctly? I had this sort of thing on my GTV. Turns out that one of the bolts on the bottom wishbone had blown its threads and it was only tight on three. Made a hell of a clunk over a speed bump.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 25-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Carmarthenshire
Just checked all the bolts and they are fine.....just took it for a spin and noise seems to have disappeared - alfa's - you've got to love 'em!!!
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

147 JTDM 16V

Could well be the ARB bushes. Disconnect the drop link on 1 side and see if you can easily move the bar side to side (in the direction along the bar). If you can then it's probably knocking. Doesn't seem to take much movement to make a load of noise. You may see no radial play in the bush, all it takes is a little sideways play.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

issues , suspension