Constant smoke from exhaust - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 22-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire
Constant smoke from exhaust

Hi All,

I will start with apologising for long absence/lack of contribution to the took over

Back to normality(ish) now so I thought I'd share my latest experience in case it helps someone.

On the way back from the NEC classic car show where I got to speak to the legend Edd China I noticed smoke coming from my exhaust even when driving at constant speed. I didn't pay much notice to it as I thought it was due to a different type of diesel I used. However, the next day I started noticing a "hissing" noise coming when reving over 2k rpm. After a thourough investigation, I narrowed it down to the upper turbo hose which had split on the underside and was extremely hard to spot. My initial thought was that it was the lower turbo pipe, but actually it wasn't so i wasted time removing the flipin' undertray.

Pipe now replaced and problem is solved. I used a silicone pipe which had to be cut slightly to size. My top tip (as Edd would say) is when you are cutting the pipe and want a clean edge on it, pass the pipe through the jubille clip and move the edge of the jubilee clip to where you want to trim the pipe. Close the jubilee clip just enough to grip and not slide when you are cutting(not too tight - you want to keep the pipe round). Goes without saying that you should use a new (sharp) blade. This should give a nice edge if these are the only tools you have

Another thing I noticed, is how dirty the actuator (butterfly ?) was. I think this is because the turbo is not only blowing air into the manifold but also oil. I hope the photo is clear enough to show how dirty the actuator is.

planning to take it out along with the EGR this christmas for a spring clean with a carb cleaner. Will let you know if the progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20121121_191656.jpg (85.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20121121_191000.jpg (78.0 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

your egr valve will be clogged and your map sensor ....reason being maf thinks loads of air is consumed and fuels engine accordingly because of split pipe

take them off and give them a good clean with carb cleaner
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 22-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire
you make it sound so easy

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

constant , exhaust , smoke