Well, quite a lot to get through in this installment!
I'll start with the front end weight reduction, so far the following have been removed:
Air conditioning compressor
Large ally casting to hold compressor
2 x idler bearings for auxiliary belt
All a/c pipes
Air conditioning radiator
Airbox and intake to airbox
Various trims from enginebay
Engine top cover
Battery tray and relay holding bracket
Intercooler ducting & bracket
Front fog lights
Pipework for headlight washerjets
Under bonnet sound deadening
Turbo hoses upper & lower
The battery tray has been welded into the boot, and the battery installed into it and secured with the original strap. Connected to that is a thick power cable from a 3 litre GTV which runs down the nearside of the car into the engine bay, and from there it connects to the original positive battery terminal. For the moment, because of the shortness of all the leads connecting to that terminal I haven't been able to secure it anywhere, but its not causing any problems. A tack-weld held the relays clipped into their frame to the N/S chassis leg.
We then set about removing the air conditioning, starting at the compressor and undoing the two pipes (it was already de-gassed), and then removing the compressor from the engine. Next, we removed the large aluminium bracket that bolts to the engine block and supports the A/C compressor. One of the idler pullets sits on this bracket, the other sits on the side of the block lower down, both of these were removed and a much shorter belt fitted. This simply goes around the power-steering pump, the alternator, the large tensioner and around the crank pulley, and is just over half the length of the original belt.
Next was the front bumper, and with it the air conditioning radiator and all the air con pipes in the engine bay. The intercooler was removed and with it the ducting, brackets, upper & lower turbo hoses. I stripped out the foglights from the front bumper along with the wiring for them and the pipework from the washer pump to the headlight washer jets. The pipe was capped with a big bolt and a dab of silicone. The air filter housing was also removed along with its air intake, and then we set about removing all pieces of plastic trim and the engine cover, and the underbonnet sound deadening and basically everything else that wasn't essential in the engine bay. As the EGR has already been capped, I removed the pipework between the exhaust manifold and the EGR cooler and the pipework from the EGR cooler to the EGR valve. I left the valve present and plugged in for the time being to keep the ECU happy. The vacuum-operated throttlebody has also been removed, in its place I fitted a straight through pipe around 3" long attached to a specially laser-cut flange which Wizard did for me.
Once all that was out, we started putting it back together - a much shorter auxiliary belt was fitted, and in place of the a/c radiator we fitted a large front mount intercooler from JS-Tuning as well as hard boost pipes with silicone couplers and proper Mikalor clamps. A BMC Carbon airbox was fitted in place of the original airbox and connected up with the cold air feed roughly behind the slam panel - not ideal but I won't have it low down due to concerns about sucking up water.
The difference in weight between the parts removed from the engine bay & the new parts re-installed in the engine bay was a whopping 48kg! Although we did install 20kg of battery, tray & power cable in the boot, so the total weight loss is only 28kg, but a 48kg loss over the front wheels has made an outstanding difference to the way the car handles. We also fitted lighter wheels, with 225/45/17 tyres instead of 215/45/17. Another 1.8kg per corner saved, as well as giving it a 'stanced' look as the new wheels are 17x8J ET35, and they sit very
flush with the arches