Brake Bleeding Problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 15-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa 156

Help Brake Bleeding Problem

Can anybody help ?? I have a 2002 JTS and recently the o/s/f brake pipe burst whilst on mot test. After replacing said pipe i am now finding it impossible to bleed the brakes. We have tried everything but nothing seems to work, the pedal will not go hard. Got fluid to o/s/f and n/s/r but not others. Pressure bled again and now its reversed, got fluid to n/s/f and o/s/r but not others ??? All calipers seem to be ok and not seized. Just baffling. A mechanic has suggested it could be the ABS Pump, but dont want to start splashing out on another one untill i`m 100% sure this is the problem. Anyone any ideas.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Somerset
If you are using a pressure bleeder, ie gunsons eazi bleed, make sure you have less than 15 psi running through it as it is possible blow past the piston seals in the master cylinder, if that has happened, you will need to replace the seals/cylinder.
AO Silver Member
County: Cambridgeshire
Have also read on here that you may need the diagnostics machine to open the ports in the abs to bleed the system one of the reasons I'm not rushing to fit my braided lines
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

open bleed nipple right up put finger lift finger off over top while someone pumps pedal and lift off on helpers pressing down action .keep eye on level and do all brakes
then use blled tube to finish off
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4 20V

As Swampy as said, it may be bleeding the ABS that is the issue. Some vehicles are just a swine to bleed when air-locked. Have you got one of those handheld vacuum pumps? Sometimes sucking the brake fluid out of the open bleed nipple can get things moving if pressure doesn't work. A syringe should work if you dont have a vacuum pump. You could also try pushing fresh brake fluid into the system from the bleed nipple using a syringe though if there is any rubbish in the caliper you take the risk of pushing it into the ABS modulatior.

AO Member

Member car:

If an airlock is the problem it can be worth just leaving the car alone for a few hours with the dry bleedscrews open and let gravity do it's thing.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bleeding , brake , problem