Weird indicator problem on my 147! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 09-11-12 Thread Starter

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.6ts

Weird indicator problem on my 147!

The nearside repeater and front indicator are playing up.

The problem started off by each of by the lights suddenly not working, then they would start to work some of the time, independently from each other. They were never out of time with any of the other indicators and the back indicator has allways worked. So I guess it is not a problem with the relay.

Both of them have stoped working now with no notification on the dash, both the bulbs are okay because I have checked them.

Could it be something wrong with the wiring to these two indicators?

Where should I start my investigations?

I am sorry this might not be very clear, this is my first post as an Alfa owner.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Grahameo

1.It could be the relay although relays tend to work or they don't, that's it!(refer to your owner's manual for its location) Remove it clean up the male and female contacts with electrical contact cleaner, re-install and wait ten minutes for the excess fluid to dissipate then check.

2. Check the earth wire that leads from the headlight assembly to the inner wing... Remove the earthing bolt, clean up the area and bolt and use copper grease to make a good contact and re-assemble. Most Likely! if not number 3

3. BULBS not correctly fitted! Check the contacts in the side wing repeater, it could be the bulb at a slight angle making intermittent contact. Do the same to the side indicator bulb in the headlight. Easiest thing to try

4. Don't discount the switch stalk assembly... Many Fiat derived cars and commercial vehicles often have the same issue with the stalk contact points.
Remove the bottom cowling and pull the rubber shield further up the stalk... Spray in electrical contact cleaner. With the ignition off, go through the full range of motion of the switch and stalk to aid the cleaner to do it's job quiet a few times. Wait for dissipation of the cleaner and then try it.

If all that doesn't work... Don't take it to a mechanic, take it to an auto electrician instead... With the equipment they use, they will find the fault and solution a lot quicker thus saving at least half the labour cost.

A general rule of thumb with indicator issues is: Faster ticking of the relay relates to a bulb or earth point issue...
No ticking at all with the bulbs not illuminating or constantly illuminated relates to a sticking contact inside the relay or the switch stalk/ wiring to the relay issue... So that can narrow down your search considerably.

By your description of the fault... I would hazard an educated guess it could be the switch/ stalk assembly... But that wouldn't explain why just the front side only and not the rear... Relay or wiring to is therefore the logic answer.
HTH

Last edited by Grahameo; 10-11-12 at 13:33.

(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 13-11-12 Thread Starter

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.6ts

Thanks

I had a look over the weekend, I hit the wing of the car with my hand and it started working!

I wish I didnt do this as I couldn't identify the problem after, they just kept working. I tolk the car apart and started tugging a bit to try and make it not work again but nothing.

They will probably go wrong again some time, I will follow your instructions when they do go.

Thanks, Knev

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , indicator , problem , weird