oil cooler pipes - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Originally Posted by SonofFangio View Post
I originally came to this thread for information on which oil cooler and hoses to fit, looks like I stumbled onto a right argument; as I'm not one to pass by I'll chip my penny in.

I work in the industry. I have designed parts for Daewoo, Land Rover, Aston Martin, JCB and Caterpillar; so I have some insight into the problems that designers/manufacturers face. The basic problem is that we cannot test a vehicle for 15 years before releasing it. The whole design cycle for a car is being shortened all the time and is around 4 years from inception to production. Initial design concepts are tested under lab conditions using machines to replicate salt spray and debris impact. When they reach a level of confidence they are fitted to test mule vehicles, production cars that are modified to take the new component. Full prototype vehicles will not be available until the last 18 months of the programme. In which time they have to undergo accelerated endurance testing; that is the harshest environment that 99% of vehicles will ever see, multiplied by a factor of 10! Under these harsh conditions the components will show signs of corrosion problem is that you cannot fully predict the effect of corrosion over time; and that's ALL you can do as I said at the beginning you cannot test it for 15 years!

I would love to design my components from carbon fibre, titanium and precious metals, but unfortunately we have a design budget; if this wasn't the case then everyone would have gold plated engine bays instead of heavy insulating materials.

BTW, never get a new car in the first year of production; because we will go to production with non safety critical components made from pre-production prototype (sub standard) materials. This is a calculated risk working on a cost for warranty claims versus cost for production delay.

Wow, what a surprise, companies actually want to make as much profit as possible ................. grow up people you're in the real world now.

PS Where did you get the cooler and hoses for 60????
hear what you're saying, but these are 4 year old cars with pipes falling apart. Not a problem if its the window washer pipe! The corroded pipes can be sorted with a 5 can of waxoyl and power to the person who knows to do that in advance. Tough **** to the person who doesn't eh?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Leicestershire

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 24v

I agree, they should not be failing after 4 years! If there is sufficient numbers of failures then you should register a complaint here:

Vehicle Recalls

If you believe you have experienced a safety defect due to a deficiency in the design or construction of your automotive product, please complete a report form or email vsb@vosa.gov.uk so that we may assess whether or not we can take the matter forward.

They will decide whether the manufacturer has to recall the vehicles.

Ebay... std universal cooler of size at end of first page. 38 inc delivery. And then I got good quality aluminium alloy AN10 elbows to go with it to have attached to original pipes 20 for both and not worry about corrosion (or it being seized if I need to replace pipes).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cooler , oil , pipes