Steering wheels... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 59 Old 07-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Hmmm Steering wheels...

I am right with my assumption that the steering wheels in 147/156/GT are one and the same and can be used in each other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Spacecadet

All 156 steering wheels are interchangeable, All 147 and GT wheels are interchangeable. There is a small difference between the 156 and 147/GT wheels. The 147/GT wheel has splines that the wheel fit on to which include one extra wide slotted spline to allow easy centring of the wheel. The 156 wheel doesn't have this extra wide spline so it can be positioned anywhere. It is possible to put a 147/GT wheel on a 156 by either filing the wide spline away, or forcing the wheel on so the rack cuts the extra groove in the steering wheel.

(Post Link) post #3 of 59 Old 08-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks for the info Andy, very comprehensive answer!

I'm toying with buying another 156 and the one thing I hated with my last one was the steering wheel... Our 147's leather one is quite nice to hold, so had thought about buying another off ebay and fitting.

Is the 156 GTA steering wheel any better?
Spacecadet

I156 GTA wheel is identical to the interior facelift 156 wheel with audio controls. Only difference is that the plastic is greyish silver rather than straight silver. I swapped my GTA wheel for a standard 156 facelift job. Feels identical in thickness, quality, pattern etc. also the facelift 156 wheels are about 30 delivered second hand. The GTA ones that occasionally include GTA tax where suppliers double or treble the price just because it came from a GTA.
When I get around to it, I'm going to have my original GTA wheel recovered as the leather had worn through and the stitching had failed in places.
It is a nice comfy wheel to hold and is a straight forward change over job.
Even I managed and I'm a technical numpty!

(Post Link) post #5 of 59 Old 08-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Yeah this one is a facelift 55 plate with the audio controls is silver. It's definitely not leather though, just rubberised plastic as far as I can remember!?

It was a leather chunkier one I wanted really, especially after living with a 159ti wheel which was wonderful.
Unregistered

County: -
I do not think there are any rubber steering wheel with audio controls, only the leather ones have audio controls. Adn be careful, you cannot fit a 156 steering wheel to a 147 or GT.
AO Gold Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataemonus View Post
...you cannot fit a 156 steering wheel to a 147 or GT.
Yes you can.
Unregistered

Yes, but only if you modify the steering wheel boss, and there is no reason to do so since the only steering wheel that the 156 has and the 147 does not is the TI one, also used on the 156 GTA Selespeed. Oh, and the wooden ones, if you're into that.
(Post Link) post #9 of 59 Old 09-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
I do not think there are any rubber steering wheel with audio controls, only the leather ones have audio controls.
My last 156 was a last of the line 1.9jtdm 16v 'Sport' on a 55 plate and it definitely wasn't leather! (It did have audio controlson the silver plastic covered spoke. I bought the repleacement lower cowel and cruise control stalk, but never got round to getting rid of the crappy steering wheel.

It was too thin and very plastic/rubbery, and not at all as nice as the lusso spec leather one in our 147 twinnie...
(Post Link) post #10 of 59 Old 09-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Hopefully this pic will show...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alfa%20156%20Sport%20030%20(Small).jpg (31.8 KB, 70 views)
Unregistered

Never seen one of those They are like the TI ones mentioned above, or the wooden ones, only not wooden or leather. Hmm, quite a rarity. I think they might be UK market only.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Quote:
Yes, but only if you modify the steering wheel boss, and there is no reason to do so since the only steering wheel that the 156 has and the 147 does not is the TI one, also used on the 156 GTA Selespeed. Oh, and the wooden ones, if you're into that.
It's the other way around. You have to modify a 147 wheel onto a 156, but that only involves a minute's work.
A 156 wheel would fit straight onto a 147.

And why would you do it? Well I put a 147 wheel in mine because it was cheaper and in better condition than others that I had seen.
Unregistered

No, you got it wrong. The splines on the 147/GT steering wheels can be forced onto the 156 steering column as the splines are luminium while the column is steel. However, the 156 steering wheels have the thinner non-splined part of the column so the steering wheels have a cone to match, the 147/GT columns are thicker at the non-splined part so the 156 steering wheels will not fit unless you have their cone part re-honed.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Quote:
No, you got it wrong. The splines on the 147/GT steering wheels can be forced onto the 156 steering column as the splines are luminium while the column is steel. However, the 156 steering wheels have the thinner non-splined part of the column so the steering wheels have a cone to match, the 147/GT columns are thicker at the non-splined part so the 156 steering wheels will not fit unless you have their cone part re-honed.
So what are you saying? That the wheel won't go on far enough? Because it will certainly fit over the splines as the 156 wheels are splined all the way around.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Has anyone tried a 159 wheel?
(Post Link) post #16 of 59 Old 10-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipharvey View Post
Has anyone tried a 159 wheel?
No but a 159ti wheel would be great, although I'm not sure it wouldn't look a bit mis-matched with the rest of the cabin!? Then there's the airbag and audio control compatability issues possibly...
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipharvey View Post
So what are you saying? That the wheel won't go on far enough? Because it will certainly fit over the splines as the 156 wheels are splined all the way around.
It's as simple as that, a 156 steering wheel will not fit on the 147/GT steering column. I explained it the best I could, but you have to have a mental picture of how the steering wheel boss looks like. I have the steering wheels but cannot take a picture due to the lack of a camera. Simply put, the opening on the 156 steering wheel where the column comes is too narrow for the 147 column, it's just the splined part that is the same size but it won't go back enough so the splines will barely meet.

The 159 column has the same number of splines, but the back art of the steering wheel is different shape and size so it will not go well with the cover of the steering column on the 156/147/GT, airbag is different, obviously, you'll need that as well, audio controls are different, I think even the horn connector is different.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Ok, that makes sense now - and I don't mind being proved wrong.

If I could get hold of a 159 wheel then I'd give it a go. I don't need audio controls (I filled and painted mine) and the airbag should be simple.
Would you need the 159 clockspring or would the later 156/147 one work with it? That would be the only thing to cause real issues.
Unregistered

I do not think 159 steering wheels can be made to fit the 156/147/GT due to physical issues, not electrical ones. I will be getting a 159 TI steering wheel soon, for a friend, and will see it at least it fits, will let you know if you want. But except the Ti version, the other ones look quite ugly, the original 156/GT ones look much better imho and are built with less concern for cost cutting.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

If you could find out, I'd be grateful. Cheers.
AO Member

County: Gauteng
Slightly off the subject here gents. Does anyone know if the Fiat Abarth wheel fits on the new Giulietta? Specifically the QV? Would love that wheel in my car.
AO Platinum Member

County: Mpumalanga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Nero View Post
Slightly off the subject here gents. Does anyone know if the Fiat Abarth wheel fits on the new Giulietta? Specifically the QV? Would love that wheel in my car.
I think it will, it has all the steering controls of the QV, i was going to get this for my bday but got 19" Ti wheels instead as i dont like buying off eBay. Theres a couple for sale on eBay but most i found the sellers dont want to send to SA.

If you do buy one, i think it be best to ask dealership machies to install it for you, this is my plan, will most probably get one in the new year though. There were a couple selling on eBay with no airbag, for reasonable prices, this is what makes them expensive...the airbag, so try and look for those ones with no airbag then the dealer can fit your QV airbag in the Abarth steering wheel, im pretty sure the modules are the same as well, i wont be surprised!

Also take a look at the centre part of the abarth wheel, the QV part is exactly the same shape and size, so you can swop that out as well

.Attachment 156623

Attachment 156624

Alfa Romeo 156 Sportwagon 2.5 V6 - Project Swagon
Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV Tuned SOLD
Alfa Rommeo GTV Tuned SOLD
Alfa Romeo 156 GTA Sportwagon SOLD

Last edited by Guili; 16-04-13 at 09:20.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Giulietta,Kuga

They must share an armature and airbag module!
I've got used to the Mito based wheel but the geometrical style of the Abarth would be a good facelift action for the Giulietta .
Do post the findings.
AO Member

County: Gauteng
Thanks Guili. Will investigate further. Hopefully we can get this right!
Unregistered

Guili, are you kidding ? Serisouly, how can the Giulietta aribag fit with the Abarth steering wheel ?
You clearly do not know what the airbag is.
Here :
http://i.imgur.com/II88P.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wegoO.jpg
Steering wheels probably fit though, airbags as well, but you will be left with the Abarth emblem on the airbag.

PS. You can't find one that sends to SA ? I found one in 30 seconds : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261125489968
Airbag included.
If you will ask nicely perhaps somebody from the forums here, located int he UK, will kindly buy one of these for you and ship it to you. Or ask the seller o help, I am sure he can ship to you for the right price.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280948658964
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280948660480
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140878195425
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140878195423
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140878195427
Last 3 ads are from the same seller who also sells the steering wheel w/o aribag, so perhaps you ca buy just the airbag if you want, and buy the steering wheel with the red leather parts.

Last edited by Ataemonus; 11-11-12 at 01:19.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
steering , wheels