Steering wheel with controls - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 29-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 147

Steering wheel with controls

Does anyone know if the wiring for the steering wheel for the controls is available on vehicles without a wheel with the controls.

I am fitting an aftermarket radio and it would be nice to fit the steering wheel with the controls if I buy the relevant adaptors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Attica

Member car:

33 & 147

I have done the steering wheel controls retrift and it is very easy. However you need to have parts from the donor car like:

- steering wheel of course
- clock spring featuring 12pin plug
- the clock spring connector which is integrated on the vehicle wiring
- Green connector at the back of the radio.

If you used an aftermarket radio, you will need special adaptor leads which translate the commands from the steering wheels to the radio itself.
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 29-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 147

Great reply thank you.

So the clock spring connector - is that there already?

Steering wheel is nice and easy, with regards to the green connector - you run the wire(s) yourself?
AO Member

County: Attica

Member car:

33 & 147

No, the clock spring connector is a 2 pin setup and you need to cut it. You will substitute the 12 pin connector by connecting the 2 A/B wires to the respective wires on the 12 pin connector and the rest of the wired will be routed to the rear of the radio.

Yes you need to wire it up yourself. The rear of the radio accepts 2 wires which are the signal from the controls and 1 wire for earth. You will also need to install a single wire from the fusebox which will light up the controls plus 1 earth wire.

I dont remember exactly the wires but if you are technically inclined to read wiring diagrams it is very easy.

My retrofit was a little bit adventurous as the 12pin clock spring was faulty and I had to run A/B daignostics in order to locate the fault. I then bought a second hand clock spring which solved the A/B error right away.

Here is my mail address in case you need further info for the wiring. gritsop [at] otenet [dot]gr
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 09-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 147

Turns out that the wiring isn't there on mine unfortunately - never mind! Damn cost savings...
Unregistered

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritsop View Post
No, the clock spring connector is a 2 pin setup and you need to cut it. You will substitute the 12 pin connector by connecting the 2 A/B wires to the respective wires on the 12 pin connector and the rest of the wired will be routed to the rear of the radio.

Yes you need to wire it up yourself. The rear of the radio accepts 2 wires which are the signal from the controls and 1 wire for earth. You will also need to install a single wire from the fusebox which will light up the controls plus 1 earth wire.

I dont remember exactly the wires but if you are technically inclined to read wiring diagrams it is very easy.

My retrofit was a little bit adventurous as the 12pin clock spring was faulty and I had to run A/B daignostics in order to locate the fault. I then bought a second hand clock spring which solved the A/B error right away.

Here is my mail address in case you need further info for the wiring. gritsop [at] otenet [dot]gr
You do not need to cut anything, the clock spring is held by 3 screws and can be removed or replaced.
You need the correct clock spring, the one for the audio controls, as there are only 2 types.
Also required is the cable from the clock spring to the stereo, that can be obtained from breakers or whatever.

County: -

Member car:

156 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gritsop View Post

hello i just ran on this theme while googling about this wiring between clock spring and radio for alfa 156 ...

i'm wondering if you still got this scheme of wiring ... i alrady got clock spring and new steering, all i need is wiring from clock spring to the back of the radio,

tnx for any replay
grettings from Slovenia
AO Member

County: Timiș

Member car:

156 8v

A bit more info for anyone googling this.

You need to run 3 wires from the steering wheel to the headunit.

If you have the factory one, and lack the green mini iso connector, get one from a breakers or electronics store etc. It doesn't have to be green
From that, run three cables as shown in attachments to the 12 pin connector (D47) at the back of the wheel (which the clockspring plugs into).

The colour codes for the wires are:
G - Giallo = Yellow
N - Nero = Black
Z - not a clue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alfa 156 SWC cable HU to steering wheel.jpg (52.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg HU green mini iso connector.jpg (29.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 12 pin connector at the back of the steering wheel.jpg (37.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by sneaker; 15-10-16 at 19:15.
AO Member

County: Timiș

Member car:

156 8v

Just came back from behind the other side of the steering wheel
Finally figured out exactly how to wire the buttons to the headunit, I edited my post above.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
controls , steering , wheel