Selespeed dropping out of gear - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Selespeed dropping out of gear

I've had my 147 Selespeed for coming up on two years and it has developed a fault (which I've had in the past) of dropping out of gear to N and then refusing to select gear, this can be rectified by turning the engine off, restarting, waiting for checks and away you go. This is not loved by the ever "patient" drivers in the part of London I live in ;-) The problem seems to occur from cold and be more pronounced when the weather is colder. I should also add that I only tend to drive the car on weekends so it will be sat on the road getting beaten up by the weather for 4-5 days in a row before it gets a turn over (not that it is ever that bad in London).

It has been fixed in the past by adding more Tutela CS Speed and at the start of August I had a Firela look further into the issue and they took the actuator apart and replaced some leaking seals in the unit (and I thought the problem was fixed).

The pump is priming fine when the door opens for around 10 secs and when I turn the engine on I can select 1, 2 and R however I have noticed that the gear changes 1 through 3 are clunkier than usual. When it failed on me last night in a parking lot, I was in City and it went from 2nd to 1st and then there was a noticeable judder in first and when I was on a ramp awaiting other cars to depart the car park it dropped into N and I had to do the turn it off/turn it on routine.

I've ordered an ELM cable and will use MES to read-off any error codes that I may get (I'll update accordingly, I also have another bottle of CS speed on it's way to top up to check if it's leaking again, it looked fine level wise when I check on Saturday, but as the oil is quite clear, it's a bit hard to judge on the plastic dip stick). But has anyone got any suggestions what may be causing the issue based on what I've mentioned above?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Sponsored Links
ELM arrived and have had a look this morning with MES (free) and no errors reported.

I topped up with a little CS Speed, and then took it for a drive round the block and it didn't drop to N (although on Sunday it drove fine to the Cinema and then dropped on the journey back, we'll out of the car park). It is only dropping to N on slowing to a stop, has done it in both 2nd and 1st over the last weekend.

I did notice that the change up and down from 2nd to 1st feels like it is really hard, you get a distinct thud/thump as the change happens. Could this then mean I need to pony up for the full version of MES and look to adjust the clutch rod?

Any advice greatly recieved.
AO Member
County: West Midlands
Hiya, i've PM'd you, Gaz

Last edited by REDGAZ; 31-10-12 at 08:31.
AO Gold Member
if the system is OK, no Tutela need to be topped up ! there must be a leak somewhere...
read out the sele error log and check the pressure and how long it holds that pressure (around 50 bar)
clutch rod length is crucial (around 28 mm) how old is you clutch ? seles need a new clutch assembly
at around 120K kilometres and especially when you drive around in London or some other congested areas.
Hi rarebear

Thanks for the advice, the car has done 99,000 Km and is a 2004. I've been driving it around London and the 4 previous owners were all city dwellers too (Leeds, Ipswich, London).

Clutch pressure plate travel = 28.014mm (but flicks between this and 27.972)
Hydraulic circuit pressure = 46.827 bar (once the engine is on it goes just over 50bar)

Just had a look through all the receipts of work done on the car and no evidence that the clutch has been replaced. However the selespeed pump was replaced in 2008 and only in August this year the seals were replaced on the actuator as it was leaking CS speed.

Last edited by shikoku14; 31-10-12 at 10:19.
Not Happy

Further update

Drove the car tonight and my guess is that there is something up with 2nd gear, there is a thud to engage from first, fine changing up to 3rd but to drop down from 3rd to 2nd it almost feels like it is slipping into gear (like a bad change on a manual). This is all in manual. I drove in City on the way back (a 4 mile round trip to the supermarket) and from a set of lights it went from 1st straight to 3rd.

Touch wood it hasn't dropped out of gear to N at all today in a couple of short trips. I'm booked in to see Smaky on Monday so hopefully he can pinpoint the problem(s), I hope it's not (s) or for that matter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

well i got a actuator in perfect workin order if u need to buy alot cheaper then u ever ever get on ebay or eles where pm me if u interested
AO Gold Member
County: Gauteng

Member car:

GTV 2.8 Turbo

recalibrate the system.
Cheers for the advice, bled the clutch and recalibrated the system and drove around for 10 minutes it shifts through all gears with not a clunk and didn't drop out to N once. Can decide on the 200 mile journey from Huddersfield to Oxford tomorrow if it has fixed the problem and whether I need to swing by Smaky on my way home.

On the way up from London to Yorkshire it went from 5th to N a coupe of times after I'd shifted up from 4th, requiring an extra up shift to recognise re-engage the gear. I also noticed that the temperature was around 70-80 when driving on the motorway and would only go upto 90 when I was stationary in traffic.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

dropping , gear , selespeed