Newbie to 147 forum - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 28-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
Newbie to 147 forum

Hi all,
I've just bought a 2006 147 2.0 TS (facelift). Nice car with only 25k miles and a good price on account of it being a previous Cat C w/off with damage to the rear. It also appealed to me as I need something more practical than my GTV twinny (mine from new in 1998 following 14 years of 33 Green CL ownership) which I'll be keeping for long motorway cruises.

Some questions which I'd be grateful for your views on:

1. Alfatex interior is a bit grubby but the few bits I've spent time on have come up well. I want to take the seats out and hire a steam cleaner to bring them back to their best and thoroughly clean. Has anyone done this and, if so, is there a recommended steam cleaner? I looked on HSS website but nothing seemed suitable.

2. I've looked on the forum and the web generally to see about fitting a Double Din Sat Nav/CD player that can also navigate iPod operations on screen. I couldn't find any threads with a detailed description of how to get rid of the cupholder/coin drawer, fit the cage and, most importantly, do the wiring. Please let me know if there is something I've missed. Also any recommendations on a good head unit and speaker upgrades - I'm not 16 so don't want to feel like I'm sitting in a drum kit, it's more sound quality I'm after.

3. Oil. I'll be getting the cambelt changed as I cannot tell if/when it was last changed and I know from the GTV forum how expensive it can be not to do this. I'll also change the oil. I don't want to re-start the passionate oil debates but I am assuming there is no reason why recommendations would be any different on a 2006 147 2.0TS from the Phase 1 2.0 twinny on a GTV. If so, since the mileage is so low on the 147, I think I'll follow the Opie Oil advice and put in some 5w40 (Fuchs or Millers Competition). I'd always shied away from going 5w40 in the GTV as I only heard the recommedation when mileage was already high so I went for fully synth (motul 300v and then Millers Competition) 10w40. But more cold starts and short journeys should mean 5w40 is the way to go for the 147 unless any of you tell me differently.

4. Tyres. I run 4 Conti Sport Contact 2s on my GTV and love them (despite 1 forum member feeling they do not hold the road at all). I trust them more than anything else I've had. The 147 needs 2 new tyres. My gut reaction is to go with Conti SC2s but does the different car size/shape/roadholding mean that over the years you guys have identified a better tyre. Also, would you advise putting the new tyres on the front or rear axle?

Thanks for any feedback on the above or any other things you think a new 147 owner should be aware of.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 2 Old 02-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
Well, I spoke to our good friends at opie oil and have some 5w40 Millers CFS fully synth arriving and have also ordered 2 new conti Sport Contact 2 tyres which I'll put on rear axle.

Re cleaning Alfatex, a guy who does interior steam cleaning in houses will take a look at the seats and tell me what machine he'd suggest. I'll update you on results once done.

Re double din sat nav with full ipod connectivity: would be grateful to hear any thoughts on recommended unit, any war stories about fitting and speaker upgrade views.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , forum , newbie