violent shake at cold startup - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 25-10-12 Thread Starter
County: Al Qahirah

Member car:

2000 156 1.6TS

Hmmm violent shake at cold startup

Hey guys.

Today as I started up my 156 1.6TS after being parked for a week, the engine started horribly rough.

3 to 4 cycles of the starter engine and it fired but ran as if on 3 cylinders with the whole car shaking violently. The engine sounded like an air cooled motorcycle 2 cylinder!

I noticed idle rpm was stable, around 1300 rpm then dropped back to around 900 as it warmed up. but still , the whole cabin was shaking

I looked under the hood as this noise was happening and the engine was shaking and juddering with a pulsing hissing noise from around the exhaust manifold.

As It warmed up, the engine came back to it former self, took it out for a drive and it drives normal.

I know i have a faulty variator which i am planning to change, what might be the cause of that? its the first time it happens
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -
Not sure about the 1.6 but the 1.8 and 2.0 have a tendency to leak oil (or have oil spill during filling) into the spark plug well on the number one cylinder (nearest cam pulleys). That could make it fail to spark when you started (and maybe miraculously clear once warm, I don't know). Take off the engine cover and go swabbing with a piece of cloth wrapped around a screwdriver. Costs nothing...

the hissing round the manifold - no idea...could be related, might not be.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cold , shake , startup , violent