Climate Control no heating no cooling + heater knob fix - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 22-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Victoria

Member car:

Climate Control no heating no cooling + heater knob fix

Hey lads,

Thought I'd post the fix for my CC issues here.

Had some time on the w/e to sort it. When I first got the car, the cooling and heating worked real well! only the driver side heater control would automatically escalate from a setting cold and creep all the way to BOILING hot.

So, there was always an issue, but the CC totally stopped doing anything other than blow ambient air when switched on... The driver side temp control also ceased to work at all..

the fix:

1) disconnect battery

2) begin extracting CC unit from console.
pull out gear gaiter surround to reveal two screws holding lower console piece:

3) remove the two small screws below the drop-down bin/cig lighter and remove bin disconnecting the cig lighter and withdraw - find the lower console piece extensively broken... as below.... hmm.... four more screws to remove...

4) and.. pull out alien is this doing here??:

5) remove stereo and remove molex connectors and antenna connector... stereo comes out w/ remover tool or in a pinch 4 pop rivets in the 4 holes and pull out.. now you have the 6 screws holding in the CC unit exposed... remove these and pull unit out.

6) back of it looks like this... remove disconnected - warning these are hinged type secure connections, depress catch and pull back black lever - do not pull on wires... remove several tiny t10 screws to remove back cover.

7) reveal pcb, pull out the pcb floating behind the face of the CC unit and spot the black diode marking on the photosensors... by gently depressing on the side of the units i was able to spot that all 3 contacts on one side of the surface mount device were cracked and i could move the SMD sideways almost impreceptably due to the structural break in the solder.... obviously resolder the part... very little was used by the OEM, so i resoldered the SMD pins... Warning: consult a person well familar with soldering SMD devices. It is VERY easy to bridge the pins with SMD devices and access is limited. in a pinch, simply apply heat and reform the solder bridger rather than add solder if you are not experienced.

8) reassemble! reconnect battery - put key in MAR and allow all the actuators behind the CC unit recalibrate their range... and....

I can imagine a lot of people jumping to the conclusion that they need a regas or there being some other large issue with the a/c if their unit stops working. most of the CC systems are actually all actuator controlled including the heater air mixer flap, so a reset is hopefully all that is needed...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (55.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (21.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (43.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-3.jpg (39.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-4.jpg (35.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-5.jpg (57.4 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by wankski; 22-10-12 at 06:04.
Sponsored Links
Well done. This problem is somewhat of a plague now. If it helps, Alfa Romeo dealers seem totally unaware of this issue, or this fix. They seem to only be able to replace the CC unit at huge cost. Nice pics too.

What did you do with the Nokia hands free unit? I guess it doesn't work, or you'd have known it was there.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 22-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Victoria

Member car:

yeah, i cut the ******* out! the speaker for the unit was zip tied to a big cable under the dash so cut that out too, the phone and mic cables were already cut, so it must have been an old wired system pre-bluetooth or something..... the power cable is the only thing that remains.... it was spliced into the headunit power supply, so it just wound it up and taped everything off including sealing the molex connector w/ electrical tape and shoved it back in there...

i got this car at a MASSIVE discount over new obviously.... but soemtimes i really hate second hand cars.... the panel was obviously smashed by the guy that put this nokia thing in... it's not at all visible once buttoned up, but i'll probably look out for another gearshift console... on the upside it also includes the chrome trim just below the CC unit, and mine's a bit scratched so...

but the real bug bear was when i did my cambelt and waterpump... the coolant system was shagged... and the reservoir cracked.... obviously the POs were topping up with tap water and the coolant was totally diluted causing it to rust.... had to trailer the car immobilised w/ the engine heads half dissasembled to the dealer to fix up the coolant system for that one...

bought a semi-good transfer pipe and WP cap to reco for the next change.... will have to take out the engine for that one! my current ones are siezed on and all the dealer could do was pressure test it and call it ok....

cars mate...
AO Silver Member
County: Leicestershire
Thumbs Up

Thanks for this. I've got to re-flow the solder on my heater control and this has given me some pretty good instructions.

AO Member
County: Devon

Member car:

alfa romeo 156

Did the battery disconnect thing, seemed to work but only for a day. Have taken the control panel out , easy enough, cleaned the sensor, checked the pcb board, no dry joints there, put back together and now have cool air as well as hot air!!

Like you Wanski someone has been there before. Looks like they thought the gear lever/ashtray console was pull out! Oops. Its ok but will look for new one. Also around gear lever is a foam boot, which has been butchered, loads of foam jammed on the ball and socket of lever, cleaned that out now gear lever moves a lot easier!! Yay, good hour well spent!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

climate , control , cooling , fix , heater , heating , knob