alfa 156 gearbox problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 21-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

156 twinspark

alfa 156 gearbox problems

hi i have posted this question before but i am still after more info on a problem i have got on my 156 1.8 ts manual with the gearbox all gears work fine except 4th gear it goes in 4th fine however as soon as i lift the clutch it makes a grinding sound and jumps into neutral i have removed the end cover and cleaned it out but no difference i have also removed the bolt that has a ball bearing fitted which is supposed to hold it in gear and replaced it with a good one as the spring was not working properly still jumps out of gear before i remove and replace the box is there anything else i can try ive read about gear selector cables not working properly plus the selector fork not being inline with the ball bearing how can i check to see if everything is lining up and working properly also could it just be low oil levels in the box
i just want to cover every angle before its new box time
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Cork

Member car:

Punto GT

Me personally i would be checking the oil level 1st then after that make it take incase someone has burred the syncro in 4th and its not able to engage it
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

I got a cheap bits for 4th gear if u need me to take them off from the gear box i got layin about then let us no ta .
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
Jumping out of gear rather than not selecting the gear in the first place is usually a worn syncro.
AO Silver Member
County: Leicestershire
You may have a detent ball issue, they use spings behind balls that sit in a cutout in the selector fork and hold it in gear, if you have a broken spring behind the detent ball then it won't be locating the detent ball in the selector rod, and it won't hold it in gear, also you could have a issue with the synchros.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , gearbox , problems