HI New Owner + Quick Question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
HI New Owner + Quick Question

Hi All,
I will be picking up a 156 JTD on Friday its a X Plate 2000 model

every thing checks out fine on the car the only fault i can find is the gearlever does not spring into the 3rd/4th gear plane when in neutral.

so when your driving and change from 2nd to 3rd you have to concentrate on pulling the gear lever to the right to select 3rd.

Is this just a spring off the selector mechanism or does the complete selector mechanism need replacing ?

Any pointers as to the source of this problem would be welcome, i have done a search but it returned nothing
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

MINI Cooper

Re: HI New Owner + Quick Question

Welcome to AO hope you enjoy your new Alfa. You might want to also go to the "introduce yourself" part of the forum if you havn't already done so.

I dont recall seeing this problem on the 156 but maybe someone reading this could confirm if is the same as on the 147......
If you read this you might find it useful. http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=30922 (stiff gear knob!)

If the 156 is like the 147 there are a couple of plastic bushes in the linkage between the gear lever and the gearbox that could need replacing. I have a 147 thats done about 43,000 miles with the gear lever thats gone the same way in the last six months (being done under warranty next week).

'A business absolutely devoted to service will have only one worry about profits. They will be embarrassingly large.' - Henry Ford.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

owner , question , quick