Possible Alfa 147 purchase. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 16-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear
Possible Alfa 147 purchase.

Hello, everyone!

I am new to Alfaowner forum and hope I will be driving in one soon.

I have about 1k budget but would like to spend about 800 and 200 in possible emergency repair after purchase.

Recently, I have noticed that 1.6 ts has been selling for quite cheap and there are loads of 147 1.6 ts's for sale under a grand.

I currently drive a MG TF 115 1.6 but I realised that I need a more practical every day vehicle that is not a convertible and not a 2 seater.

As you have noticed, I do not really like boring cars. Focus, Astra, Golf etc etc, don't really fancy those as I'd love to balance out fun to drive and reliability equally. I mean 147s won't be obviously as reliable as or should I say as cheap as to run as Focus's or Astra's.

When I was living in Japan, I had a 2001 147 1.6 ts selespeed. I mean selespeed was an absolute nightmare as VDC, ABS and other sensors constantly popping up and wouldn't drive. So, parts were expensive(around 400 I paid I believe for it being very rare) and after that, selespeed would go into neutral whatever I do and suddenly make the car revvvv middle of accelerating.

Other than that, I recall it didn't have any other issues. So, I decided to give it a try to a manual which may be more reliable than selespeed.

ALFA ROMEO 1.6 147 T SPARK LUSSO BLACK 2003 low miles in Bradford, York | Used Alfa Romeo for sale | Gumtree.com

I found this 147. It has service history, had cambelt replaced about 11k miles ago or so and looks quite nice. All I am worried about is that it seems a bit cheap for 53 reg and scared if it's going to give me loads of problems. It fits my budget, my favourite colour black, manual, 1.6 ts so cheaper to insure and easy on fuel, has MOT&Tax even though not too much.

I am wondering if this will be a good buy. 85k, 53 reg, 1.6ts manual.

I mean I could spend a grand on it but then even a 147 for a grand may go wrong and there are plenty under a grand so I'd rather spend rest of the money on surprises I face after purchasing the car.

I can put aside about 150 a month for maintence. Would it be enough?

Need a good enlightenment from a genuine alfa 147 owner who lives in UK (because of estimates of maintenance).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alfa , purchase