ABS/VDC/EDS Immobiliser errors - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 14-10-12 Thread Starter
County: St. Gallen

Member car:

147 2.0

ABS/VDC/EDS Immobiliser errors

Hi there,
I recently bought a 2001 147 2.0 T-Spark and at first it ran beautifully but now there are one or two problems coming up...
It all started a few weeks ago when the ABS/VDC system failure errors came, I took it to a mechanic I know and he couldn't find anything on the Diagnostics - he said because the errors weren't active when I took it there, but I thought the ECU would log the errors?..

After another week of errors coming quite regularly I booked it into the local Alfa dealer but as ever, two days before the car was due to go in a new error came as I was driving down the road and it shut the engine down: Engine monitoring failure, and then followed by all sorts of Immobilizer/code errors - I think these maybe knock-on effects of the original EMF..
Since then I have had problems starting the car because the amber engine light is flashing..
I've checked the battery it has 12.74V, I disconnected the battery to reset the system, but the errors (all) keeps coming..

The Alfa garage also said they couldn't find anything and need the errors active when they put it on the diagnostics.
As it seems I'm going to have to leave the car at the Alfa dealers and he'll keep checking it - but before I did that I wondered if anyone had any ideas...
have I ignored the original error too long and now the system needs a reset/rebuild -as you can probably tell I'm a little lost in all these errors! :-)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated...
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
The ABS/VDC error may be caused by a faulty brake light switch, which doesn't give an error code. A search on here will take you to several threads on the subject.
AO Member
County: Lancashire
Check the earth points on the wiring and has the car had replacement timing belts fitted recently? As this can often cause problems, with the earth wiring not being refixed securly!
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 15-10-12 Thread Starter
County: St. Gallen

Member car:

147 2.0

Thanks for the replies!

I've taken it in now and it had some active messages so I'm just waiting to hear back from them.
If they don't find anything again I'll ask about the two points you've both given me.

The timing belt was replaced 20K (miles) ago but I've only owned the car for 1K of that..I guess I'll have to trace the previous owner.

can it be that the immobiliser error comes more often now than the "original" ABS/VDC message because it was ignored for a couple of weeks?

thanks for the help!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

abs or vdc or eds , errors , immobiliser