EGR Valve help. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 14-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

EGR Valve help.

hiy guys. i know this has probs been cover a load but there is something that i can find in other threads when iv done a search.

iv decided to block my egr valve off as its the most stupid design in the world.
iv got the engine warning light coming on now, is there any harm being dont to the engine with me blocking it off to bring up the light? or is it just because the computer thinks there is something wrong.

also, i keep reading about ppl who clean out there egr valve and get loads more performance gains, but i dont see how this is. because all its doing is pumping more exhaust funes back in isnt it? which u think would make things worse as its messing up all the clean air and this is why ppl block it off.

hope someone can clarify this for me just to make sure im defo not damaging my car.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
The muck in the EGR prevents it closing properly so exhaust gases are recirculating constantly.

Nope, blanking it off won't hurt anything, the EML comes on as the map sensor no longer detects a change in pressure in the manifold when the EGR opens.

As long as the EGR is clean and closing properly and you're not bothered by the EML light coming on, don't bother getting your hands dirty blanking the EGR simply disconnect the electrical connector....has the same effect.

Blanking the EGR at any point other than the exhaust manifold bothers me though, having seen the amount of muck that collects in the EGR one wonders, with the EGR blanked at the inlet manifold, where this soot will now collect. One assumes the heat exchanger will fill up which could cause problems should one wish to reverse the process at a later date.

If it were me I'd blank at the exhaust manifold and get the EML turned off by some outfit with the necessary software.

All the best

Surely the heat exchanger won't fill up as it would need exhaust gases to carry muck into exchanger with it blanked at manifold very little will get up the pipe. But agree be better to blank at both ends if your doing it

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

egr , valve