sportwagen electric windows - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 09-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

156 twinspark

sportwagen electric windows

having a few probs with the rear electric windows on my sportwagen 156
drivers side rear does not work at all i can hear a click when i press the switch but i wont work i have removed the trim and checked the wiring plus applied pressure to the glass while pressing the switch but no joy
passenger side rear i can push i down about 4 inches then it works but again stops 4 inches from the top its like someone has tried to force it open
i think the passenger side might be stripped on the gear so i may need a new one but can i remove the whole drivers side mechanism from inside the door and try to free it up, if so is it easy to remove any tips most helpfull
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
The rear window regulators get water draining straight into the motors. The build up of rust stops them from turning. Lack of use makes it even worse.

I stripped them out, removed the motors and cleaned them out using carb cleaner and electrical contact cleaner in the holes on the motor casing. You wont believe how much rust and crap comes out. There is a seal on the spindle but it doesnt seem to work and water gets right in.

The motors were then connected to 12v and ran for a while to see if they actually work and to get rid of any remaining cleaner. They both worked.

I then sprayed water down the regulators around the gear entrance to flush out all of the dirt.
Once i had got all of the water out I sprayed silicone spray liberally down the gear enterance while pulling the cables backwards and forwards. Eventually it frees up. I then pasted on a load of greese onto the gears and refitted the motors.

Silicone sprayed up the runners for the window and the rubbers further up the window.

Refitted the window regulators and they have worked ever since.

Every time I use the car I deliberately open and close both rear windows a few times which definitely helps.

2002 156 Selespeed Sportwagon|Koni FSD Dampers|Eibach Pro Springs|Fully Powerflexed Front & Rear|Eibach Sports Stabiliser ARB's|Lightweight Flywheel|Lighweight Crank Pulley|Colombo & Bariani Cams|Ported by Peak Alfa|Custom Remap by Gus|Wiechers Aluminium Strut Brace|GTA Uprights & Brembo 330mm Conversion|276mm GTA Rear's|GTA Steering Rack |Custom K&N Intake Pipe & Induction|Brand new Gearbox/Actuator|Quaife LSD|CF2 Decat Manifolds|Supersprint Centre Section|CSC Duplex Exhaust|GTA Interior
AO Gold Member
All Matt's advice above is sound. Sportwagon rear windows seem to seize more than saloon ones - I think its because there is more glass area in contact with the window channels....

To remove the unit complete you need to remove the clip where the peg on the mechanism goes through the glass - its tight and takes quite a pull to remove..... If you can get the glass to move part way down there is more room to then get the peg out of the glass - once you've done that, push the glass up and out of the way. then unplug the connector to the motor, remove the brace in the opening at the bottom of the door (2 x torx bolts, 1 x 10mm nut), then undo the 5 x 10mm nuts that hold the motor and the mechanism to the door. Then fiddle the whole assmbly out of the hole at the bottom of the door.......

If you get stuck and need help and are anywhere near me - give me a shout.....

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
When I got my SW the rear windows barely worked, they were agonisingly slow. I just try to open them at every opportunity. They have slowly freed up over the last year, and now run fine. It's lack of use that kills them.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

GTV 24v

Having acquired a Sportwagon I found the same problem both sides, clearly the motors are intended to be rainwater-cooled. While doing the near side I had a fairly careful look at the condition inside the door expecting it to look corroded and horrible but was astonished how clean it looked. The other's waiting for the round tuit.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

electric , sportwagen , windows