147 Sport Sales Question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 09-10-12 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Alfa 147

147 Sport Sales Question

Hello all,

I'm trying to sell my 2007 147 Sport. I've looked around at dealers and have found one with the same year and roughly same miles for sale @4995. So I put mine on the market for the same price.

It's been a few days and I got an offer for 3700. The guy tried to tell me that it was a fair offer, but seeing what a dealer is selling his for, I feel insulted. I know my sport isn't really a super rare limited edition, even so, 3700 is a bit low is it not?

Am I delusional or justified?
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Kent
I sold my 147 Sport Q2 as a trade-in for my Giulietta last summer and soon afterwards saw it in pride of place on the forecourt for 30percent plus mark-up for which they would pay a couple of hundred pounds vat and they put a warranty on it for 500(?) but they probably didn't get full price or had to flatter the buyer on their trade-in. Perhaps you could patient? Or that is the price.Good luck.
Dealers have always wanted top top book for their own stock, and your part ex or buy it is closer to scrap value, that is just the way of things with both main and independent dealers.

Dealers will always justify it with their overheads argument, which isn't helped by being billed internally by their own workshop, and parts dept, responsible for their own turnover and margins, at ridiculous rates for any efforts made in the preparation of a retail car, but as for the warranties, they cost nothing like they sell them for.

the usual arrangments and offerings are somethuing along the lines of bronze silver or gold cover warranties, and are sold in a similar grade scale, but iirc from a while ago, an aftermarket gold warranty probably cost the dealer about 200 max, and then they probably get the tax back on it too!

however, just because the dealers argument on their screen price doesn't wash with me personally, doesn't mean that privately sold cars should/could/would ask the same price and expect any success at achieving it.

most folk consider dealer prices too much for starters, so youre up against it before you start, but as a privateer without at least the option of the 150 point check, gold warranty, alfa romeo cups and posh coffee in a brand emblazoned lounge,

to put it harshly, you stand little chance!

all that said, i DO genuinely wish you all the luck in the world, for reasons that if everyone acted the same, maybe we could all get away from that historical belief that alfa's drop faster than a bomb!

perhaps a few banners, white tile the drive, a few bright red armchairs and a pot of Nescafe on the go, will help things along a tad! ha ha!

sorry to sound cynical, its just my way,

what you selling it for anyway? ha ha!!

all the best

AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
You'll never get dealer money in a private sale.

Theres a certain amount of consumer protection with a dealer and thats what you pay for.

In any private sale it is sold as seen and no comeback at all.

3700 isn't that far off, drop the price to 4500, but you'll be lucky to get 4k

Sorry to be negative, and as Petrolhead said, I wish you loads of luck, especaily seeing off the bloody tyre kickers!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , question , sales , sport