1.8 TS low revs misfire, and Engine control Module Failure warning - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 09-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

147 1.6ts

Cry Like A Baby 1.8 TS low revs misfire, and Engine control Module Failure warning

Right, where to start, bought a 156 sportwagon 1.8 Twinspark cheap, this is my 2nd alfa, sold my first one and had about 3 cars since, nothing compared so i went back to the darkside.. So she has her issues, all to be sorted in due course,, first things first as the title reads she had a misfire usually between 1 and 2k revs, was annoying the hell out of me as you can probably imagine, driving a fast car that splutters and changes its mind when you try to pull out at a junction is annoying!

So i had a read on here, i suspected plugs, but someone suggested coil packs as they usually get damaged with careless oil top ups, so i checked coil pack one and lo and behold both plug recesses where full to the brim with nice clean 10w/40... , i drained it and cleaned the top of the plug thinking i may get away with it..... no such luck,,, a quick browse on fleabay sourced a replacement coil pack which i very eagerly swapped with coil pack one.... gutted, no change, still running rough and still warning light showing

With the engine running i pulled off the HT leads one cylinder at a time, to find there was a loud 'pop' noise from the plugs on cylinder 1,3,4 (left to right dunno if thats the order) , however nothing from the plugs on 2... swapped the coil pack on 2 with the one i had just removed from one and hey presto a nice loud 'pop', Warning light off and all seemed rosey

I even took her for a blast through rivington, massive performance gain and big smiles all round,,,,, however the contol module failure warning is back!!! so what im thinking is what should i try next?? im thinking maybe clean airflow sensor? can the lambda sensors be cleaned as they would have been getting unburnt fuel in the exhaust with a cylinder misfiring???

the car runs fine.... its just doing my head in having a yellow light in my face!.... recently saw a post where someone had plugged his bella into his own laptop.... i like the sound of this! how do i do it please!!! haha...

Thanks in advance for any replies... my previous posts have been fruitless... im new help me out please id be very greatfull....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

control , engine , failure , low , misfire , module , revs , warning