1999 156 2.0TS selespeed wont start - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 08-10-12 Thread Starter
1999 156 2.0TS selespeed wont start

This car belongs to a good friend and he drove it into his garage as per normal then next time he went to go out wouldnt start.
So far we have done this:
1 Read codes with DEC Superscan: Only brake switch fault was stored but is working ok as lights go on and live data in selespeed ecu reads pedal depressed (Fault cleared ok and not returned).
2 Checked strarter relay was ok, By passed starter relay engine runs fine from the key but we cant reliably select any gears and neutral light is flashing. The counter shows we can select 1st gear many times but but im not 100% sure we can get neutral. We havent been able to select any gears past 1 or reverse.
3 Pump is running when handle is opened and pressure is fine. Clutch cycles/operates when trying to crank engine and we can hear a clunking from the robot? when going to start.
Using the buttons on the steering wheel doesnt seem to make the robot work? The lever does make the robot operate.
4 I can operate the robot solenoids with the superscan in all positions ie even gears, odd gears, low and high. Also tried the de select gear mode and it operates. Did a system depresurisation and the clutch moved many times indicating the accumulator is ok.
5 Owner said he was having intermittent operation of the buttons on the wheel at times but i didnt check they were being read in the ecu data.

The only other faults were in the engine ecu related to the variator. Im wondering if non start could be due to one of the buttons on the wheel being stuck on? I think the oil level in the pump resivoir was a little low to. (hes out of town so couldnt access oil readily)
All fuses were ok and ecu pins are ok with no water etc damage.
Im not sure how you test the position sensors as i dont have any info that matches this version which is a 202 series ecu. All i can see in live data is the counter for each gear position.

Any links or clues much appretiated!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 1999 , 20ts , selespeed , start