Alfa 156 2.4 JTD auxiliary belt change - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 06-10-12 Thread Starter
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

Wave Alfa 156 2.4 JTD auxiliary belt change

We had a problem with the auxiliary belt slipping then shredding

On stripdown I found the tensioner seized, and the damper pulley collapsed

I was O K until fitting the new belt when none of the threads on here matched what I had

Firstly I had a 32mm drive on the tensioner not a nut or Torq, it is impossible to remove the tensioner due to no space, I managed to free the tensioner off and got it moving nicely, I found when fitting the belt if you put the spanner open end down from the wing you can then tension (reduce the tension on the belt) the spring also if you get it right you can cable tie it to the engine steady bar

new phone 2 342.jpg

I still found it difficult to get the belt anywhere near, but did find a comment on here about an eccentric mount on one idler pulley, the top one is just a bolt, the second one down behind the lower mount and level with the chassis leg turned out to be an eccentric mounted idler,

new phone 2 343.jpg

This picture is taken from below looking upwards, the tensioner idler is the one to the left

slacken this off (15mm) and after fitting the belt tension it using this idler, I nipped it the tensioned it using a rounded bar, then I snipped the cable tie holding the spanner allowing the spring tensioner to work

I rotated the engine twice with a spanner then started it

ALL is now OK

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , auxiliary , belt , change , jtd