156 JTD sport. What tools? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 04-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Norfolk
156 JTD sport. What tools?

My car is due a lot of work if I want to keep it for a few more years. The front anti roll bar needs changing. It needs a full service with a cambelt. A new battery as it's dying and to add insult to injury the clutch has now started slipping (180bhp upgrade).

My dads mate has full garage facilities at his house. Electric car ramps, heated garage, the lot! There are two days that I can use it at the end of the month so I'm looking for a comprehensive list of tools needed to do the Clutch and cambelt. This really is the only window I have to do the job and once the car is in bits I can't afford to waste precious time (as well as all my savings on alfa parts) doing an hour and a half round trip to pick up a socket (he lives in the middle of no-where).

My dads mate does have an extensive range of tools but I don't know him and I'd feel like I'm really taking the ****** if I use his tools as well as his heated garage.

Any help is really appreciated!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

156 2.4 jtd x2

Hello XRsupermoto,

You could try totallyalfa; he does the Alfa specific tools you will find make the jobs easier. Sorry, don't know how to do a link! He is based in Devon, if I remember correctly. If you want a manual, try Mercian manuals or go for a cd rom off eBay, and CG Motorsport can supply you with an uprated clutch, but I understand the standard clutch is good for approx 200 bhp. The cheapest parts (genuine) I have found are from alfapartsonline; check his eBay listings.
In terms of specific tools, you will need a good set of Ribe bits ( you will need some large ones, ie 10, 11 mm, as well as the more common smaller sizes, Allen keys or/and sockets, the cam lock set ( the cambelt can be done without it, but unless you know what you are doing, get the lock set, it means no chance of cocking it up). Now would be a good time to change: the fanbelt(auxiliary belt), the two tensioners for that ( be careful when undoing the tensioner by the aircon pump: steel bolt into alloy; you can get releasing fluid to the back of it, and you could need a tap, M10 x 1.25)and possibly the pulleys (check the bottom crank pulley, if it is wobbly when running, change it), the water pump, and the cam sensor( if this fails, you have to do this all over again !). Be careful when removing the cam pulley; don't damage the thin part of the pulley with the cutout or your timing will play up, and be certain the pulley is properly seated before you tighten up or you could damage the locating tooth...and your timing goes! Check the How to guides at the top of the forum page, they explain all the correct procedures for adjusting and fitting the two belts. I believe it is false economy to refit worn parts, having gone to the trouble of removing them, but take notes and bag up parts as you go; always helps with the ' well, jobs done, but why do I have nuts/bolts left over! Scenario"!! It is not an easy job, but is perfectly possible, just take your time!

Get a battery with the highest cold cranking amps rating you can find ( varta do a good one, Lo96), eibach antiroll bars are excellent, but your problem may be you need new drop links, or possibly new bushes; if that is the problem, go for powerlflex poly bushes.
Hope that helps, and best of luck!

The Captain

Last edited by captainboogaloo; 05-10-12 at 10:15. Reason: Forgot stuff, you know, the usual!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , jtd , sport , tools