Strange i know but got a new noise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 30-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
Strange i know but got a new noise

I have only noticed this since replacing the turbo intercooler hose, bit of history. Car never felt smooth in lower gears when using them gently until lower intercooler hose split, replaced hose and suddenly car very smooth in the lower gears. But now i can use the gears i have noticed a funny kind of noise from the passenger side front when the car reaches around 2-2.5k revs, only way i can describe it is sort of a rubbing kind of sound as if car was kangerooing and something was catching, its not but thats sort of how it sounds. If you just accelerate through this without trying to hold revs no sound. Does not seems to affect the car and its very low volume it just does not sound quite right.
Sponsored Links
Tricky to diagnose with limited info:
1. Most obvious, would be a heat shield rattle of some sort while holding the revs, my experience with all marques of car is 2000 to 2500 rpm is a metallic rattle is often associated at this magic revs band. It seems to attract metallic rattles at this frequency.
I would also check the lower chasss leg that holds on the bumper, it may have rotted away at the bottom and two rusty areas may be making contact at the rev range.

2. Your lower turbo hose rubbing off the gearbox maybe... Have you checked your lower engine and gearbox mounts for excessive play? Extra movement can bring both items in contact.

You can eliminate certain possibilities by getting the front of the car on axle stands, hand brake on and chocked for safety and CAREFULLY running the car up to speed in gear while you check for the noise from a close but safe distance... But bear in mind, the wheels and tyres are spinning so avoid them at all costs. At least you will be able to source the immediate area of the noise and investigate further
AO Member
County: West Sussex
I can be stupid things that cause these types of noises.
I had a weird rattling noise from the passengers side at the front. Turned out to be the screw part of the hose clip on the upper turbo hose (intercooler end) vibrating against the body work...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

noise , strange