147 / Alfa / Fiat niggles - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 01-06-05 Thread Starter
AO Member
Not Happy 147 / Alfa / Fiat niggles

So yesterday I get in my 147 to take back a couple of DVD's. As I switch the ignition on I notice that the airbag light doesn't go off. Crud.... So, I switch off the ignition and on again but it's still there. Ok, get home and search the forums and Google for all the info I can get. As everyone else probably knows, it's a common issue, mostly due to some cabling under the seats. Firstly, I didn't move the seat, or the passenger seat, however, in future if I do - I'll make sure the key is out!

So luckily today I have a day off as it's half term and take the Alfa to town (Newcastle) to get it sorted. The Alfa dealer is next the the Fiat one where the work is done. Take it in, the Alfa guy says to the Fiat service guy that it's under warranty (had the car approx a month). Fiat guy says it'll be done in 2 hours (1pm). Me and my son get back to the Fiat service area at 1.20 - where we're told that there was a problem with their diag software - no prob I say. I pop up to the Alfa bit as I had to pick up the toy Alfa for my son (promised when I bought the car). On the way back to the Fiat bit, our car drives past us! Problems with the diags? They hadn't even looked at it. Just as the garage door is closing on my car, I see somethign matallic on the rear passenger side tyre.....no - it can't be I tell myself. Eventually at 2.20pm my car is done. They try to charge me, telling me it's for the use of the diag software - I re-iterate my warranty! No charge - typical....

I go to pick it up, and there it is - a screw embedded in the rear tyre. I noticed loads of screws and nails around the garage doors as I walked past them too - is it really too much to sweep up now and again? They did fix the tyre (bloody right too), but added an extra hour to our wait - ever tried to keep a 7 year old occupied in a Fiat waiting room?

So, it seems that my experience so far is that the Alfa guys were helpful and the Fiat guys were monkeys......

Sorry about the length of this post - but I felt the need to vent my frustrations to people who would understand!!!

Oh, to top it off, on the way home I noticed that the 'down' button for the computer wasn't working (again). So I smacked the dash again to get it working - and it did start working (on and off). Now I find myself driving along and every few mins trying the down button on the dimmer just to see if it works! I've become nuerotic!
Sponsored Links
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

Re: 147 / Alfa / Fiat niggles

Sounds about right Something so easy to sort takes so much time and effort to do so. Then the inevitable 'something else has gone wrong' thingy Happens a lot here but not always. At least you have a sense of humour to get you through the ownership experience
AO Gold Member

Join the club !

you may be on the way to a faulty sensor pad in your passengers seat !

lucky that you have warranty ! if the dreaded red man with red ball reappears ... boy you are in for some but kicking....
AO Silver Member

Is it a woinder Alfa get a bad reputation? Having problems is bad enough, but it's the way the dealers sort them out (or fail to) which leaves teh lasting impression
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 01-06-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

I think I'm starting to understand how everybody else on these forums feels! I think at first I saw it all through rose tinted glasses and thought that everyone (in the world apparantly) was exagerating the Alfa/Fiat dealer network....but OMG!!!!!

Ah well, I'll kepp pressing all the buttons constantly just to make sure! lol

Cheers guys!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alfa , fiat , niggles