Should I buy this GT? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 24-09-12 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Should I buy this GT?

I have recently got rid of an RX8 and I think that the GT looks like an interesting proposition.

I have seen one that looks like a good deal but was looking for advice on whether to go for it or not.

It is a 2004 GT diesel in black. It has 169000 miles on the clock which is my biggest concern. The SH is stamped till 116K but was serviced at a local garage at 167k where there was a bit of work done on the suspension. I was out on a test drive and also heard a bit of a knocking sound, like drop links. The car seemed to drive pretty well. All the other inspections seemed OK like no smoke from the exhaust when starting, no gunge in the oil etc etc.

My main concern is the mileage though I am making a bit of an assumption that there were a lot of motorway miles given the mileage hence a pretty easy life.

The car looks in pretty good nick, couldnt even see any rust anywhere.

I reckon that I could get it for about 1600 with a bit of bargaining.

Let me know what you guys think, if it only had 80k I would be in there but the mileage (and the knocking) is a bit of a worry.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
Diesels are good for 250k miles if looked after, the knocking could be drop links or ARB (the rubber does ware and they get loose)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

I bet almost every GT owner on here has had a knocking sound from suspension. i'm on 100k and have only changed the lower wishbones. Don't think suspension issues are particularly expensive to fix.

I'd be more concerned about the last cambelt and waterpump change.

Does the clutch seem ok too?
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 24-09-12 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Clutch seems ok, not too sureabout the cambelt and waterpump. im presuming that if i sell on in a couple of years itll be pretty worthless?
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: West Dunbartonshire
Purchased mine with 90K on the clock and paid 4k just over three months ago !!!! 1600.00 would be a bit of a bargain ...!! Mine came with +2.5k spent receipts for work carried out over two years. I did have to change my wheels as three were buckled ....If your unsure about waterpump and cambelt I would get it done (around 400.00)...Even if you get two years out of it that's a whole lot of fun for 1k a year ....Good luck whatever you decide..!
AO Member
County: Cardiff
That's cheap. For one with 80k you'd be paying around 3k+

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT