I drive way too fast
to worry about
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Fitting 2.0 cams into a 1.6 147
After searching the forums and Googling like mad, I have found a lot of interest in replacing the 120BHP 1.6 cams with those out of a 2.0 TS. There are various thoughts and experiences on the subject so I thought I would post mine!
I picked up a poorly 147 1.6 TS for the price of a Chinese takeaway (It's true!). It was only running on three cylinders. A few checks found a burnt valve and, as I had an old 2.0 head lying around, I thought I would chuck it on see what happens. Now, all the Twin Spark heads are the same (except the 105BHP 1.6 I think, as it doesn't have a variator) so it was an easy swap. I used a standard 1.6 belt kit, but with the 2.0 timing tools. Guess what? It runs!
Now, it definitely goes like a dingbat above 5k and hits the rev limiter a bit too easily, but I do feel it has lost a little torque around 2500-3500, hence my Googling. One guy found he had to advance the inlet cam by a few degrees, which interests me because we used to do this in the good old days on the chain driven engine and on the Fiat twin cams (131 days). We also used to retard the exhaust cam a bit too. So watch this space as I am going to experiment with this (new valves please!).
Remaps are another biggy that others have felt they needed to do, which will be on cards soon anyway as I am about to fit a VIS manifold from a 2.0, which means some wiring and software mapping work as the 1.6 doesn't have such trickery in its own manifold, or the feed wire from the ECU. Once I get it working I am hoping this will help the torque curve and driveability.
Pre-cats. Yuk. They are going to be binned and a CF2 manifold and downpipe fitted in their place, along with new lambda threads for the existing pre-cat sensors.
Give me a couple of months and all the above will have been tried and tested and hopefully, without tears and valve grinding and steam and bits of engine on the A303, I should have a pretty nippy 1.6 for relatively little money. So far I have spent about £200, plus a Chinese, on parts (there is an upper wishbone in that) so this is a cheap project!
Will keep you all posted!
Oh, one more thing, the car has done 175000 miles on the original bottom end!