156 Rear windows fail to operate - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 18-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Norfolk
156 Rear windows fail to operate

Is this one of those 156 idiosyncrasities (if that's how you spell it) that neither rear window will operate either from each individual rear switch or the driver's door panel?

Obviously I've tried the lock switch and sprayed each of the switches with electrical connector spray.

The 30 amp fuse appears to control all 4 windows and the fronts are working fine.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
motors have died or the connections in the door/frame?
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire
It seems to be one of their idiosyncrasies...both 156's I've had the rear near side windows haven't worked.

No big deal to me, the little fella sits on that side so it stops him putting the window down if I've forgot to lock it

AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2

Its possible it might just be a battery on its way out.

I had a similar thing with my GT in that the window went half way down then back up, then all the way down when I tried to drop it down. Alfacraft told me it was a dying battery and voltage dependant switchgear/wiring - so when the battery cannot reach the higher level required for the switchgear the switch reads it as a lower voltage thing and does the opposite of what you are asking it (or even nothing at all)...

Might be worth just checking your battery.
AO Gold Member
It is quite common, as the rear windows often aren't used for months on end, and they can stick in the guides/rubbers, and can sometimes then burn out the motors when they try to move an "immoveable" object. Worth trying running a thin blade around the edges of the glass where the rubbers are, maybe squirting in some silicon spray, then get someone to try operating the switch whilst you "assist" the window to move with a hand on either side of the glass.....

If no joy with that, its a question of checking if you are getting power to the motor, and if so, then its probably winder assembly replacement time. Easy enough - I've written about how to do it on several threads on here....

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , fail , operate , rear , windows