Power Cut - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 16-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
Power Cut

First in the queue to leave the ferry in Dunkirk, ignition on to lower the window, off again.

Given the nod to start & drive off, nothing! Everything black, no interior lights, no door lights. While everything was being waved around me, I opened the bonnet and moved the battery leads, lights came on, car started and off we went.

Stopped for fuel a little while later, not wanting a repeat and having a long way to go, I left the engine running. The cap wouldn't open (not sure if that is normal) so opened it manually. After the refuel, the gauge, which had been working before, stayed at zero, no range info & the fog lights didn't work.

Finally got out of Belgium (always a good idea) and stopped for coffee. Restarted the car with a little trepidation but everything was ok. The fuel gauge started working, front fogs worked and the sat nav had remembered it's settings.

I had the battery tray out a few months ago when I replaced the slave cylinder, maybe something has worked loose. Will have a good look round in daylight later.

Curious about the fuel gauge though. I know refuelling with the engine running is frowned on but believe me, being stuck in Belgium was not an option!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
Sounds like a dodgy connection to battery. Check and tighten - should be very firm connection.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Originally Posted by gtcliff View Post
The cap wouldn't open (not sure if that is normal)
yes, thats normal ....probably a safety feature

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cut , power