1.8 t spark engine noise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 08-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
1.8 t spark engine noise

Hello all

I've had a good read of the threads and think my engine might be pinking or maf fault or exhaust bracket or variator....

The car is a 2003 1.8 t-spart 59K cambelt changed 23,000 miles ago (4 years) I know the variator is dodgy as I've had the problem before at start up (diesel sound for 3 seconds) this is my 3rd 156! A cambelt change is written on the water bottle in black marker 10k ago but I don't have a receipt so not counting that.

I noticed with the windows down in the hot weather that there is a noise under gentle acceleration, when the revs are a little low. It's a bit of a tappety sound, similar to the variator noise at start up - can the variator cause this noise under accelartion or is it something else. The car needs a full cambelt/pump/variator change but I've been quoted 500+ so waiting for the right time financially. The sound only lasts 2 seconds and isn't too loud. Power does seem to be a little down but tickover and engine temp are faultless. In the engine bay the heat shield (big metal bit lowish down at the front) split which is a little odd.

Hope that's enough info!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

engine , maf , noise , rattle , spark , variator