156 engine undertray - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-09-12 Thread Starter
County: Western Cape
156 engine undertray

Is there a difference between 2.0l and 2.5l V6 undertrays ?

Sponsored Links
The V6 under tray covers the the entire curvature of the front bumper in order to protect the oil cooler and/or the transmission cooler on Q-system models. It has slitted vents in order to aid further heat dissipation and also has an elongated oval cut out towards the rear of the tray where it attaches to the sub frame to avoid the drop of the down pipes

The TS under tray has a section missing under the air box and the left side of the front bumper.
It is solid where the V6 elongated cut out is
AO Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Grahameo View Post
The TS under tray has a section missing under the air box and the left side of the front bumper.
It shouldn't unless someone has cut it.

My original undertray didn't until during a main dealer service at about 2-years old they cut it on the right front corner. I noticed the engine bay getting very dirty straight away, but didn't notice the very obvious hand cut section until later.
Since 2005 I've had an alloy undertray, which is solid except for the usual slots.
You know your alloy under tray David, is it one of those ricambi types with the mid step in it?

I'm considering making one myself out of 3mm aluminium but could do with the measurements of the step. I have a home made bending press so not difficult for me to get the bends right.
I was also thinking of removing the sound proofing from my old under tray and glue it down to the alloy to aid a the sound abatement a bit better.

On an interesting side note that also related... There is a young lad who works with me at VOSA who has completely covered his floor pan in two long alloy sheets on a Vectra he owns... He as cleverly used the alloy exhaust tunnel and the bottom of the sill seals to attach it to... He also did the boot floor allowing for rear arm travel of the suspension... Then he has also fitted fins along the underside front to rear to create a venturi effect ... Strange, but its within regulations and also seems to work you can actually slightly feel the car sucking down to the road at speed...

Hmmm I'm wondering if an Alfa would work with it too

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , engine , undertray