156 Indicator/Wiper Stalk Units Not All the Same - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
156 Indicator/Wiper Stalk Units Not All the Same

Unplugging the existing unit in my 2003 2.4 MJET (due to a broken indicator stalk) and there is a wire pair coming out of the base of the indicator stalk that by passes all the other wiring plugs etc. on the unit and then dissappears inside the dash ?

The unit I obtained from a breaker (claiming compatability with above) has no such wires. So if I break the permanent looking connector on the wire pair of the existing unit and fit the 'replacement' unit I will have nothing to plug into the existing wiring loom and presumably at least one function of the indicator stalk will no longer work.

Can this be 'worked around' (ie. dismantle the new and old units and make a hybid) or do I have to get the right unit ?

Last edited by rt05492; 07-09-12 at 16:29. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Well don't all rush at once now. I have worked this out for myself from studying photos on ebay and the associated years that they came off.

So that's alfaowner forum helpful experts nil, ebay 1.
AO Gold Member
Ask an obscure question...and you may struggle.....I saw your query but didn't know the answer, as I've never come across a broken stalk, in 10 years or so of breaking Alfas......so couldn't offer any helpful advice....

Maybe it would be helpful for someone else in the future if you shared the info you now have, rather than having a hissy fit?
The stalk was broken whilst the car was in for totally un-related repairs at a garage not unknown to this forum. They didn't even mention it when I picked the car up so I have no idea how or why they did it. Not in the best of humour and won't be going there again.

My observations are that there are two different units for the 156 approximately as follows. One spans upto 2002, the other from 2002 onwards. Where the actual cut off point is I cannot say. The 2002 onwards unit has a loose wire pair coming out of the base of the indicator stalk that has it's own connector whereas on the pre 2002 unit there is no loose cable. The only part number I can see on the post 2002 unit is 0 265 005 428. Pay £20 from a breaker. On re-assembly make sure you put the steering wheel back on in the right place. Try to not to disturb the steering angle sensor that is behind the steering wheel and in front of the stalk unit as this can send a false signal to the stability control and the car may throw a fissy fit.
PS Returning to my original question about making a hybrid - you can't, these units are 'ping-fu#kits' i.e. you need the right one.
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
Yes there are infact atleast 4 different types, year wise they differ beacuse on the later (faclift) version there is a button on the end to operate the centre display, so therefore a pre and post facelift version (facelift occures April-ish 2002) and saloon or sportwagon versions. Although you can use the sportwagon or saloon versions either or but if you use a saloon version on a sportwagon you can't operate the rear wiper.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , indicator or wipe , indicator or wiper , stalk , units