GT V6 Brake Refurb - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 05-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cardiff
GT V6 Brake Refurb

I have just replaced the discs and pads front and rear. I was quite shocked how badly corroded the old discs were, only about half surface areas of the inboard pads on the rear were making good contact. Brakes still felt ok though.

I also solved the mystery of the strange scraping noise experienced when cornering slowly. The corrosion on the inboard side of both front discs had swollen to such an extent that the miniscule float in the wheel bearings allowed contact with the brake guards on turning.

I also discovered that the Brembo calipers on my car are a slightly different design to those depicted in "elearn". The shape is subtly varied and the mounting bolts are quite different. No problems however, although the rigid pipe connecting the caliper to the flexible pipe was also corroded on the nearside front. I suggest you check yours. Luckily I had some spare bundy tube and a flaring tool left over from a Lancia Fulvia rebuild about 35 years ago! I never throw anything away.

As shown in elearn, on the rear brakes I did need to remove or slacken the nuts holding the suspension arms to the strut to get spanner clearance to remove the caliper brackets. These needed to come off, firstly to make space for clouting the backs of the old discs with a lump hammer to unstick them from the hubs and secondly for painting.

As the painted calipers had become very tatty looking I repainted them (badly!) and stuck new "Alfa Romeo" stickers on. I also painted the hubs of the discs including the insides of the rear discs (not the hub contact areas, obviously) in an attempt to slow down the corrosion process.

Looking at the 156 I'll probably have to do this as well before too long. I won't bother to paint the calipers though, too time consuming.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Norfolk

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

I'm planning on painting the calipers before too long. A couple of questions tho:

How do they come off?
What paint/ laquer do you use?
Graham P
As above
AO Gold Member
County: Lincolnshire
I painted the hub part inc on the discs with heat paint....look really smart and fresh!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

brake , brakes , gtv6 , refurb