156 2.5v6. Time to say goodbye? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 01-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
Hmmm 156 2.5v6. Time to say goodbye?

After a couple of years of fun, ( as well as blood sweat and tears) I fear the end is here for my lovely V6.

I have spent hours on her to make happy, but she slipped her belt and seems the pistons and valves kissed.

So I now have a dilema, do I scrap her? Will someone take her off my hands complete? Should I take her to bits and sell the many good bits or bite the bullet and try rebuild the engine?

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Oh btw, still having fun as just bought my first gtv,
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Edinburgh
Hand on my heart, if it were me, and I've said this since it happened to my first one, but if it were to happen to me again, I'd buy a 3.0 from a GTV and stick it in for a bit of added extra fun!!!

AO Silver Member
County: Gloucestershire
I bought a 2003 v6 2.5 sportwagon with snapped cambelt,I was going to put a 3.0 into it but they are hard to find at a sensible price.
So I put a 2.5 back in cost me 100,put new cambelt and waterpump etc total cost 350,
if its a good car I would look for another 2.5 and drop it in.
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 01-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
Oh no. That's another option (although I have previously considered trying to shoehorn my 3.0 gto twin turbo in there).
2.5 V6 24v Busso engines are plentiful at the moment... IMHO, it's far more viable to buy a second car with a decent engine, hire an engine crane for a week and swap them over but in the meantime during the swap and ancillary parts transfer, do the waterpump, all idlers, both tensioners and both belts while the good engine is out... It's a lot easier with a lot more room and the ability to free off pulleys with ease.... You can also give it a damn good service too.
Buy a break down or mot failure locally
Clutch, gearbox, ecu, suspension & corrosion of floor pan issues are the ones to go for and you end up with a decent second car to strip for as little as 300... Sometimes it works out even better with alloys that may be in better condition with better tyres, better exhausts and better interiors... An added bonus is recent cam belt changes etc. saving even more dosh!

The best bit is: when you are happy and up and running again... A local breaker/salvage will come and remove the other shell away and pay you for it... You can even sell the interior and wheels, induction tubes on Ebay in the mean time.... Before you know it, your intial outlay of buying the second car has paid for itself
Everyone wins, it's not the end of the world mate
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire
Or of course you could just buy another car that is good to go - I picked up a low mileage one in great condition for just 900...

Bangernomics is the future!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , goodbye , time