Q-System V6 owners... A heads up on a quirky safety feature!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Crazed Q-System V6 owners... A heads up on a quirky safety feature!!!

Ok... I have had no issues whatsoever in nearly two years of ownership from my baby until last night....

I finished work and jumped in the car as usual, kissed the thae badge on the steering wheel (I know, very sad indeed)
I started her up and just listened to that humming burble as normal..... Then when I went to shift her from "park" to "drive" on the selector it simply wouldn't budge... No amount of lifting the gate while foot on the brake pedal would shift it....
Not to be undone and a few choice words with two hands gripping for all I was worth, she then relinquished her hold and finally gave up the goods.... Ahhh thats better she slipped in to drive.... I put her back in neutral and thought maybe it's just a little stiff and needs some TLC via some silicon lubricant spray (great stuff) that I carry in my boot...

So following removing the leather boot and panel away, I gave her a damn good lube up in the hope it was just this.... To no avail, as soon as I gently eased it into park again... The same thing happened.... "Damn it girl, you are gunna give it up".... At which my work colleagues are looking a little confused!

I wrestled and wrestled with her and finally threw my head back against the head rest with frustration then all of a sudden realized as I looked in the rear view mirror at the reflection in the office window.... Damn it, my brake lights aren't working too

A few more choice words!!!

Great... Two issues now.... Or is it?
After now getting the torch out of the boot I get under her skirt ( I mean dash) and remove the brake pedal switch, which is no mean feat by the way in the dark fumbling about with big hands...

After yet more fumbling around and with some tools I opened up the brake switch rear end and disassembled it... There was a little brass plate at the top of the spring that has two, what can be described as "pin head" contacts on it... a quick file down to clean them up, I reassembled the brake switch... Refitted was even more hassle yet actually not as bad as many other makes of car... Low and behold on pressing the brake, she lit up her rear end in all her glory

To my surprise... She now saved the best till last as I eased her so gently and easily from park position... The drive home was as lovely as usual, the little minx that she is!

Moral of the story.... Got an issue with getting out of park, check the brake light switch and stop having a sexual affair with your Alfa

Oh and now I no longer complain about the MPG, I just realized that I am carrying round about 40KG of tool chest in her boot
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

alfa gt jtdm

its a good job u are a mechanic mate that would stumped a lot people .Ps its an ALFA lol .I got one, rewired the feed to my Air con compressor from fuse box works a treat now ,wait for it the headlight adjusters have never worked do now ?? odd or what its an ALFA man
AO Silver Member
County: Kent

Member car:

147ts plus bits

Grahameo, nowt wrong with loving your car, just stop short of "loving" your car!
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire
Thanks mate, I'll remember that one.

AO Member
County: Essex
Good to know, thanks for that tip Grahameo. I wonder though, could you not have pressed the interlock override under the gaiter so you could shift without the brake switch working?
AO Member
County: Edinburgh
Hats off to you Graham...and nice wording! Kissing the badge each time??? I thought I was bad...lmao! But that said, I think I'm glad I have the manual. If that was me in your car, I like most, would have been totally stumped!
AO Member
County: Warwickshire
Nice one Grahameo! Holding it down for the Q-system owners once again
AO Member
County: Hampshire
As a Q-system owner this is a great bit of info...cheers

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

feature , heads , owners , qsystem , quirky , safety