All 4 corners sqeaking like crazy - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 28-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTS 2.0

All 4 corners sqeaking like crazy

I've hunted around a bit can find none in the archive like this

For some years I had progressively worse squeaking ( does sound like heavy rubber on metal ) when I start my cummute from the cold garage. But today after 1.5 weeks laid up the noise was so bad. Every slight ripple in the road gave a sqeak such that all 4 corners were singing together and thought the car was about to implode or fall apart from under my feet.

So sure this is bush trouble as its always fine ( occasional squeak ) coming home after being outside in the warm. Car recorded 16 degrees from garage and 19 degrees after being outside all day, a small change but seemed to make all the difference. I am amazed at how different it was after pondering all day about how bad the morning drive was, even the motorway minor rises sqeaked - not from all 4 though. Driving home though you'd not pay attention to it at all.

I'm thinking this is not worn 'out' bushes else the noise would turn thuddy ? And for all 4 to go at once is unlikely. Does this sound like upper wishbone greasing, if so what is the back noise ? Sure its not the tailgate issue as the squeak is same as front.

Boucing car by hand does not relicate, yet a 1 cm cement dip will be all it needs to drive over out the garage.

Sounds like its right behind the dash ie near engine mounts and over the back wheels. Car done 95K and been spot on all its life. Only one power steering pipe explosion. MCSF on for 3 years, then went off on its own after I moved the lamba cable. So fixing this will make it good as new.

There's nothing in the dark that isn't there in the light ..... except fear
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Kent

Member car:

147ts plus bits

My front bushes went within a fortnight of each other. With a comedy squeak that made it sound like the benny hill special edition!!
I bought new arms for the rear as the mot man said so, but i changed the fronts for strongflex polybushes. No more squeaking and i'm happy again!!
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 29-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTS 2.0

Thanks how much did that set you back Egon ?

I actually bounced the car around last night and it did reproduce. I WD'ed the front top wishbones and its much better today. Only one side of the rear is squeaking so yes guess thats the arm bushes

Don't know whether to book an early MOT to check the safety or ask the dealer, I know which one will give the more honest answer on what needs work and what just needs lube

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

corners , crazy , sqeaking