GT Clutch/Cruise Control switch FIXED - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes

AO Member

County: Armagh
Garage
fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastestcat View Post
My cruise control has never worked and has niggled me for ages, so I decided to investigate and I am feeling quite smug as I have managed to fix the problem.

The switch on the clutch that operates cruise was not contacting the clutch pedal - when the clutch pedal is up the switch should be depressed. I was told I'd need a new switch, so thought there would be no harm in taking it out for a look - after all, if it didn't work I could hardly break it more.

First I stuck myself upside down in the footwell with a torch for a good look. The switch is located right at the top of the pedal in a square bracket. I got hold of it and turned 90 degrees clockwise (lucky try in the correct direction first) and it popped out. Then I disconnected the wires at the non-clutch end and the switch was free!

I carefully prised the two halves of the switch apart with a small flat screwdriver. Inside the clutch-side half there is a plunger with a spring over the top of it. The end of the plunger sticks out the end of the switch and is supposed to be depressed by the clutch pedal. My plunger didn't stick out far enough, but when I looked closer I saw there is a circlip holding the plunger in. I removed the circlip, out came the plunger and to my surprise it had threads in the middle. The threads allow you to alter the amount the plunger sticks out by, so I replaced the plunger, sticking out by a couple of threads more, put the circlip back in, put the switch back together and put it back in the car. Now my plunger contacted the clutch... so far so good, took it for a quick test drive and tah daahh! Working cruise control.

I hope this helps someone else!

Now I have to change my sidelight bulb (which has a broken holder) and stop my driver's door leak, but one thing at a time...

Cat
duude thanks so much i was just wondering how the hell my cruise control does not work. afer reading your post i decided to check if i have similar problem. i had to glue in two 1p coins to my Clutch pedal and problem is fixed! the sensor now is pressed down when pedal is not prssed by my foot so cruise control is working like crazy thanks a lot for tips Peace !
tejay likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

My Cruise Control works.... mostly!

So I've got a different problem to what has gone before...

My Cruise Control switches on and I can set it (flicking the collar to minus), resume it and decrease speed but rotating the collar to increase speed does nothing!

Anyone had any experience of this fault?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

I never use that feature ...i always do it manually if i want to increase or decrease

Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Brisbane, Australia-
Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastestcat View Post

The switch on the clutch that operates cruise was not contacting the clutch pedal - when the clutch pedal is up the switch should be depressed. I was told I'd need a new switch, so thought there would be no harm in taking it out for a look - after all, if it didn't work I could hardly break it more.

First I stuck myself upside down in the footwell with a torch for a good look. The switch is located right at the top of the pedal in a square bracket. I got hold of it and turned 90 degrees clockwise (lucky try in the correct direction first) and it popped out. Then I disconnected the wires at the non-clutch end and the switch was free!

I carefully prised the two halves of the switch apart with a small flat screwdriver. Inside the clutch-side half there is a plunger with a spring over the top of it. The end of the plunger sticks out the end of the switch and is supposed to be depressed by the clutch pedal. My plunger didn't stick out far enough, but when I looked closer I saw there is a circlip holding the plunger in. I removed the circlip, out came the plunger and to my surprise it had threads in the middle. The threads allow you to alter the amount the plunger sticks out by, so I replaced the plunger, sticking out by a couple of threads more, put the circlip back in, put the switch back together and put it back in the car. Now my plunger contacted the clutch... so far so good, took it for a quick test drive and tah daahh! Working cruise control.

I hope this helps someone else!

Cat
Yes you did, just had the same problem and you saved me an expensive body computer inspection/test as i thought that was the culprit
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

If in doubt take it out and test it with a multimeter or test bulb. It's a 90-deg bayonet fit in the mounting bracket. Note which way it's facing as it comes out (felt tip useful) as that's the only orientation it will go back in.

It's easier to reset the switch off the car too, just clamp the switch body in a vice (gently) and yank on the pin with pliers. Pull the pin til there's about 10-12mm projecting. When you put it back on the car, do so with the clutch pedal depressed. That way the switch will reset correctly the first time the pedal returns to rest position.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Brisbane, Australia-
Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by halftone View Post
If in doubt take it out and test it with a multimeter or test bulb. It's a 90-deg bayonet fit in the mounting bracket. Note which way it's facing as it comes out (felt tip useful) as that's the only orientation it will go back in.

It's easier to reset the switch off the car too, just clamp the switch body in a vice (gently) and yank on the pin with pliers. Pull the pin til there's about 10-12mm projecting. When you put it back on the car, do so with the clutch pedal depressed. That way the switch will reset correctly the first time the pedal returns to rest position.
i dismantled it and took off the holding pin thingo as i didnt want to break anything

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
clutch or cruise , control , fixed , switch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page