156 1.8TS oil/smoke issues - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 24-08-12 Thread Starter
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

156 1.8

156 1.8TS oil/smoke issues

Hi, i'm new on here & could really use some help!!

I am currently running a 156 1.8 T-spark v reg, i recently noticed the oil light flickering on bends & bumpy roads so i checked it & it was showing completely empty?! (no sign of any obvious leaks anywhere though?) Topped it up but it has since started running rough & sounding like a bag of hammers, also, when left overnight, on first start up there is a lot of white smoke which then clears until next morning, so i decided to check the plugs & found the plug wells had oil in and the plugs were in a right mess & also had oil on them so i replaced them & the cam cover gasket as i was told this gasket could have failed & leaked oil into plug wells. Started up fine after this, no smoke, but very "tappetty". When i checked oil level again it was at minimum but never seems to rise when i add oil???? Started car next day & smoke was back? PLEASE HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Unfortunately you've F***'d it. These engines don't like being run low on oil and if you've seen the oil light flicker while driving its definitely game over as you also mention it running rough and sounding terrible. New engine or full strip and rebuild I'm affraid. No ways round it. The T-spark is well documented for using under normal conditions up to 1L of oil per 1000km and they need to be checked weekly. Sorry to give the bad news but that's just the way it is

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 18ts , issues , oil or smoke