147 JTD 1.9 Turbo Hose replacement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 24-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Suffolk
147 JTD 1.9 Turbo Hose replacement

Hi guys first post but having had my 147 JTD for 8 months now I have used the how to guides quite extensively!! To say I might have bought a poorly car is an understatement! Usual faults (so I read anyway) EGR Valve, power steering pipes... just 2 of the faults so far...

Anyway my turbo hose now appears to be needing replacement (whistling noise and black smoke) so, while I am quickly learning DIY mechanics I'm still a beginner and not entirely sure which hoses are the Turbo and which one it would likely be that needs replacing. Any pointers/pictures/how-to's would be greatly appreciated!!

PS: any help on how to get the 17mm bolt off to replace the power steering pipes would be greatly appreaciated!!! Its just a right b**ger to get any leverage on and the only thing stopping me doing the job!!!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
It's usually the lower turbo hose that goes. If you stand in front of the car it's at the front, right corner of the engine bay only visible from underneath.

If you jack the car up (usual care regarding jacking points) you should see a small cut out in the undertray (if fitted, you need to remove the undertray to replace the hose) in that corner, you should be able to see the problem hose, it's an 'S' shaped black hose, about 2 feet long and as thick as your arm.

It's held on by 2 large hose/jubilee clips at either end....that's all. Piece of cake to change. Wisdom dictates you replace the hose with a silicon version from Autolusso's eBay shop here. The upper hose can fail too but it's far more common for the lower one to go, the standard hose expands as the turbo spins up and rubs on a part of the gearbox. The silicon hose resists this expansion.

The silicon hose will require trimming at both ends to fit, use the old hose as a template. I needed a larger hose clip for the intercooler end of the hose, couldn't get the old one back on, they only cost pennies though.

All the best

(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 03-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Suffolk
Excellent, thanks for the advice! Bright blue hose is on order.... right next job!!!!
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

alfa gt jtdm

you did right ,just did mine, ordered from Autolusso came next day you order clips as well I did .Piece cake to fit .Felt increase in performance as well .
AO Member
County: Kent
Definitely a modification any 1.9 JTD owner should do! Just wish you could get silicone for a 10v grr!

Would also be worth checking small bore hose(s) from actuator to solenoid on slam panel (if same as the 2.4). These tend to perish and gives boost issues. Can get a couple of metres of silicone pipe off the bay (more than enough) for pennies and it takes seconds to replace - go for blue as well

Check the top hose too from intercooler to top of engine. Usually splits on the underside - good sign is oil residue on top of battery. cheap way to check for splits, cover both ends with surgical gloves (or the similar) and dunk it in the bath, watch out for air bubbles!

wearing daps since 1983

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , hose , jtd , replacement , turbo