Alfa 147 Clutch problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 23-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Flintshire
Help Alfa 147 Clutch problem

Hi All

Recently while driving back from work the clutch pedal snapped and was stuck to the floor, it turned out that the retaining clip had broken.
I got the car repaired from the same company that rescued me, the repair bill was relatively cheap (4 for a new clip and 45 labour), however they issued an Advisory note stating that the "Clutch Operation is quite heavy".
When I queried this the technician said that I need to change the clutch within 6 months, at a cost of 800+, this caused the breaking of the clip and it will happen again!
Does this sound normal to you? yes the clutch is quite heavy but it's always been like that.
The car is 5 and half years old.

Also the exhaust box has got rusty-breaking bits, does it need to be replaced asap?

Thanks all for your time reading this and for your kind answers.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTDm

Do the people offering this advice know Alfas? The clutch tends to get heavy on these, there's lots of threads on here about curing it through lubrication. It does not automatically mean the clutch is about to go.

You may find now that following your clutch pin failure your cruise control no longer works. There's a small switch that will need adjustment, again there are threads on here that will help (use the search)
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
My back box has huge bits of rust flaking off it and has been like that for three years now. As long as its not got a hole in it and you can put up with how it looks then it should last for some time yet.
Clutch retaining clip failure is a fairly common problem and doesn't appear to relate to any other fault - its just one of those things that happens now and again.
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

Clutch pedal - heavy but not necessarily the clutch - might be slave or master cylinder which will defo improve the action. If you want to, have the slave or the master - whichever the offending bit is - replaced. But it will not be the clutch imo.

Back box - just the outer skin of the back box - like rockhopper says, if you can push a hole through then change but you won't be able to yet because the inner skin will still be intact - will be good for a while as it is.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 2201
County: Gauteng
I drove years with a heavy feeling clutch - the slave cylinder broke once - but they where notorious on the 146 2.0 TS's - I still maintain they are unrelated. After I replaced the clutch the pedal feel was much lighter.

As for the exhaust box - they rust rather quickly... replace it with a stainless steel unit when you do - as the guys recommended

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alfa , clip , clutch , problem