Is big end trouble likely to happen in a 147? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 13-05-05 Thread Starter
AO Member
Is big end trouble likely to happen in a 147?

Got this email from an ex 155 owner when I asked if he missed his Alfa...... Have such issues been resolved with the 147? I know the electrics are still a little hit and miss, I am suffering a little (strange dash behaviour at times and the boot alarm plays up), but am a little nervous by the mechanical history...... Come to that, is the 155 engine similar, or the same as the 147?

No I don't miss it at all. It was great - while it worked. Very Italian - looked great, excellent revvy engine with a mad power curve -it'd take off like stink in 5th at 100mph!!! The electrics were awful and everything just died one by one over the time I owned it. Eventually, the big end bearings went (it was high mileage) which is a known problem with them because the oilways are too small in the block.

Too much maintenance, and too unreliable. 156's were reputably little better, I hope they fixed some of the issues with your 147!

Italian cars - it applies to them all, even Ferraris
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0 16v SP3

Re: Is big end trouble likely to happen in a 147?

All you needed to do was to change your oil regularly for a decent brand and you'd have no trouble. Don't do it and it's gonna cost ya.

The newer Alfas are better, but the same can be said for any make of car - its called progress!

It sounds like your friends was unlucky with his car, there are many happy owners with reliable 155's.

There is an issue with Twinspark cranks but I've only heard of three or four 155s that have gone that way.

Don't think we've heard of a dead 147 on here yet through the crank going......but it can happen to any car as Nigel says.

....and if you want rust go check out Mercedes

AO Gold Member

I bought a 155 1.7 new in 1994, that car never ever let me down...
I used expensive oil... for Alfa's (and for any other car) that's the trick. Let the engine warm up gently and you never have a problem !
Electronics in modern cars (all of them !!! remember the recall of Mercedes 200 series !!) is crap.. as long as the manufacturers do not use Aircraft standards for electronics, it will be a gamble if and when the system will fail. Usually problems are the connectors (corrosion) and/or bad batteries.
I drive a Selespeed now, not one problem with it although you hear horror stories about them on every forum about Alfa.

I rest my case

Rarebear 'fastest piston engine airplane in the world' 4000 hp twinspark (!) radial engine.
Thta's what we call an ENGINE>>>>

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , big , end , happen , trouble