intermittent mcsf fail and temp sensor fail... only in the cold - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 19-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 2,0TS

intermittent mcsf fail and temp sensor fail... only in the cold

Hi All

With any luck one of you will know exactly where to start with my issue, sorry if its a bit long winded, i figure best to start by putting out as much info as possible..

So what happens is that when the car has been standing outside in the cold(-+7degC always at night, although never gets that cold in the day) when i start it i get a mcsf error, car still goes fine, maybe sometimes it idles a bit rougher(or i could be hearing things) once home and in the garage for the night the next morning everything is fine and no error..( i have gotten home before left it for 30 min and then started it and still get the error) this happens once or twice every few weeks during winter.

This has happened the past few winters, but always sorts itself.. however last night i start it and get mcsf and the cooling fan starts immediately and runs continuously and the car never goes above 50deg. and the idle was definitely much rougher this time I guess temp sensor needs replacing.. but today no problem starts and goes perfectly, i did the thermostat test(elsewhere on the site) all seems fine there.. i am wondering if the sensor could cause the mcsf even on those occasions where the fan did not come on full time.

Also although after the thermo test it seems fine i am coming up for a cambelt service (and yes i will then have the fault codes read) and i am thinking that perhaps i should just replace the thermo and sensor anyway, she runs 75 on the freeway and 90 in traffic( i don't want to start that debate as for the first few years of owning her the temp was solid at 90 all the time) i am just think that the thermo and sensor may be worthwhile replacing although i never get overheating problem and there are gauge accuracy issues to be considered etc.. since some seem to need new thermos yearly should i be happy with the 6 years i have gotten and just do it anyway.. bearing in mind that in SA everything costs about double the UK so it a major expense for the service alone. But that said what the bella needs she gets.

Finally since i don't post much but read quite alot a massive thank you to all those who contribute and help.. you have solved many of my issues without needing to leave my house or even ask the question and made alfa ownership even better.. which is hard to do.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

replace thermostat and temp sensor
stat check thread will tell you to replace it

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cold , fail , intermittent , mcsf , sensor , temp