Help! Added some oil and now car won't start... - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
It was probably down to the disconnecting of the battery negative and reconnecting, your immobilizer was in default "on" mode previously.... That's why I wanted you to remove it
It sometimes happens when the key is worse for wear but more than likely down to the transponder ring that circles the ignition barrel (which is powered)... The transponder chip (looks like a piece of carbon monolith) isn't powered... The transponder ring looks for a repeating bounce back signal from this chip before it starts....

Take off the battery after you disable the alarm this time and then take off the bottom cowling from the steering column... Check all the connections are good and clean (a spray tin of electrical contact cleaner helps) and refit the cowling... Reconnect the battery... Job done...

Or you can leave it the way it is for now and go over a pot hole and end up stranded again

Remember: Prevention is far better than the extra cost of the cure
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #52 of 54 Old 25-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Berkshire
Originally Posted by Grahameo View Post

Take off the battery after you disable the alarm this time

Can you tell me how to disable the alarm (or point me to a thread on here that has already described it)? The car didn't come with the manual...
You don't need a procedure, just simply press the button on the key fob to lock then unlock the doors again... Alarm is disabled, you can now disconnect the battery without it going nuts..... That is, if the key fob actually works... Try a new CR32 12v battery in the fob

If you have been locking and unlocking using the key in the door lock itself, then that explains why the alarm had a dicky fit and your immobilizer issue.
Alfa's are quirky and they dont like low battery power in the fob, they can loose their alarm programming eventually

It's nothing you have done wrong, it's just the way they are... It's something like "fob doesn't work at all then the battery needs changing within an hour" IIRC

PM me your address, I have a spare set of Alfa 156 owner manuals if you want them, I'll find out how much to post them over...... it doesn't explain everything but has handy tips for the average owner to follow.
AO Gold Member
Graham's being very helpful - but don't get hung up on the alarm has no connection whatsoever with the immobiliser. If you play around with the immobiliser aertial wire, its more important to check the connections into the immobiliser box (hidden away above the fuse box mounting)....once you've located it, unplug and reconnect the two plugs into it, which will often cure immobiliser issues.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

added , car , oil , start