Petrol smell in 156 cabin - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 24-07-12 Thread Starter
County: New South Wales

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

Petrol smell in 156 cabin

Been plagued with the smell of petrol in the cabin of my 156. My wife started smelling it a couple of weeks ago, got so she didn't want to ride in the car. I could hardly smell it - so much for having had a broken nose.

Took it to the workshop, they couldn't smell it or find any leaks.

At the lady's prompting I pull the liner out of the boot - the smell of the fuel nearly knocked me out.

To cut to the chase - pulled the back seat out to check the fuel pump pickup - it is located under a plate at the margin between the boot and the back of the cabin.

Seat is fairly easy to remove - remove the two bolts at the front, then carefully lift the front of the bench up, this will disengage the hooks at the rear. Then you need to remove the two bolt that are in the hooks.
Then remove the headrests by sliding your hand between the top of the seat and the headrest to depress the lock, pulling up as you do so.
Once you have removed the headrests, carefully work the back of the seat up, to disengage the retaining hooks.
At the bottom of the armrest opening, there are two plates that need to be removed, once they are removed the last two nuts retaining the fuel pump cover, which are the boot area can be removed.

Took about half an hour in total to get it all out - now for the good part - finding out how much it will cost to repair or replace it.

I've attached a couple of pics: one to show what you are looking for and the other showing my fuel pump which is spewing petrol everywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel pump cover.jpg (46.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg fuel pump.jpg (48.9 KB, 60 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , cabin , petrol , smell