Alfa 156 2.4 problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 19-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Rhondda Cynon Taff

Member car:

156 2.4 JTDm 20v

Alfa 156 2.4 problem

After a while searching, i've finally bough a 54 plate 2.4 m-jet 2.4 lusso. 2 owners (last owning it for 6 years), FSH with some big bills, 120k.

Picked it up in Southsea yesterday and drove it home. Trying the power on M27 & M3 and the car picked up from low revs with ease.

After stopping to refuel before joining A34, I set the cruise at 70 mph and all seemed good. That was until I tried to accelerate passed a lorry driving uphill. Planting my foot on the throttle produced buggar all response. The only way I could draw enough power was to drop the 'box into 4th

Cutting a long story short, anything below 3000rpm was flat. Over 3000rpm and the car flew. On the M4, keeping the revs above 3000rpm in 6th wasn't ideal as it meant the car was cruising at 100mph
Most of the journey home was done in 5th gear

I stopped at one of the services andchecked under the bonnet, but couldn't hear or see anything obvious

After crossing the Severn bridge, the power seemed to return at low revs and continued fine all the way home

I rang the trader and he said he'd pay for it to be looked at. Before buying the car, he had a new EGR valve fitted, so I'm wondering if something wasn't put back properly

I'm going to ring a few places today to get the car checked out (Wwaterfall in Bridgend seem to be well liked amongst the S Wales fraternity ), but was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 5 Old 19-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.4 JTDm 20v

BTW, Motor Control Failure light is not on
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4 20V

Could be quite a few things. Top of my suspect list would be turbo control related though MAF and EGR issues can also give these problems. Check your turbo actuator moves freely. Check it moves when you start the car. Replace the vacuum pipes in the turbo control system if any are cracked. Check EGR valve moves freely. Disconnect MAF and see if it helps.

Keith
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4 20V

The new EGR valve may well be because the previous owner tried to fix the exact same fault by throwing parts at it. When he couldn't find the fault easily he sold the car. Very common, I'm afraid.....

Keith
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 19-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.4 JTDm 20v

Spoke to Waterfall. Shall try and take car there tomorrow

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , problem