Broken Exhaust studs Push or screw? 147 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 17-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Broken Exhaust studs Push or screw? 147

I have snapped the studs that hold the exhaust centre section to the downpipe. Does anyone know if the studs should knock out, or screw out? can't see on mine as they are rusted up. May have to drill them out but would rather not. Its the ones that join the down pipe to the centre section, sort of level with the back of the front wheels if you see what I mean.

If you have seen this 20 min ago on another thread, I have moved it here hoping someone else can find it easily in the future as I can't be the only ham fisted B----- to do this.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire
Certainly the ones at the back of the cat are threaded in. Due to the heat they corrode on the exposed section, which becomes very narrow, and snaps as soon as you try to undo them. If there is a nut at the back, then they will knock out, if no nut then they are threaded.

They are M8, about 40 - 50 mm long. Make sure you get some replacements. Drilling them out is not hard, grind flush, punch the centre, and start with a 2mm drill. If you have any reverse twist drills, then it will come out at about 5mm....
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 17-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Great, thanks for that. There appeared to be a blob on the back of the flange that fooled me, probably just to give nore thicknes to screw into I suppose. I will apply some moreplus gas and try the mole grips tomorrow. Thanks

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , broken , exhaust , push , screw , stud , studs