Tapping sound after new head gasket.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 16-07-12 Thread Starter
County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0l TS

Help Tapping sound after new head gasket....

Hi there, about a yr ago, we replaced our 156 2.0l TS engine with the same engine from a 147 model. No problems with that. However, the vehicle overheated a month ago and was taken in for a new head gasket set. The mechanic ordered the gasket, I forgot to tell him it was a 147 engine but I dont think this matters?... Anyway, a metal gasket came back He put the metal gasket on and told me that he could hear a tapping sound coming from the engine, he then told me that a fibe one cam eout and so he replaced again with the fibre one.

I can still hear a tapping sound although it is more like a fluttering sound as soon as it gets to 2,500 revs up to 3,000, after 3,000 it is still audiable but not as load, and it feels as if there is a loss of power at that time, like the pull/torque is affected. I have been told it could be the timing belt is slightly out? I am worried that the head isnt on right and im going to cayse more damage, however she was just driven 150kms.. Please any advice would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Hi Yvonne, we really need a little more detail as to where the noise is coming from in the engine bay?
When does it start? Hot, cold, intermittant?
Describe the noise in more detail, what does it sound similar to to you?

Even better, a video on a mobile with sound as you move it around the engine bay slowly and put a link to it on here and we will be able to try and help a bit more ok
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 17-07-12 Thread Starter
County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0l TS

Many thanks for your reply, the sound is coming frm the very top of the engine, if you are looking at the engine in front of you it will be from the back of the head area. It sounds to me like tappets, like a fluttering sound. Worse as you get higher in the revs. I will try and capture the sound and add it on a link.

It starts at 2,200 revs and stays there, gets louder when you push the accelerator and it feels as if it slightly looses power on the pull.

I did just have the cambelt and head gasket changed, i was told it was possible the timing belt that is out. I did drive it from Hermanus to Cape Town and back, approximately 260kms...

Also, and this is strange and unsure if it is connected, whilst idling, the temperature goes up to half,as normal. When on the open road it stays at zero and i dont get very hot air with the heaters full on?!!
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Was the water pump changed also?
Good chance its not sealed correctly. Also sounds like the thermostat is stuck in the open fully position.

If the timing is out it usually means the power moves up or down the rev range depending on how advanced or retarded its out. To far advanced or retarded it runs very roughly and possible issues with the pistons coming into contact with the valves.

Tappy noises could be the tappets yes. Make sure it has enough oil in the car. These make louder tappet noises if the oil is running low.
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
I beg to differ. If the timing is out you will notice almost no change in performance because for it to be so far out that performance drops off noticeably you will be well into valve damage territory on these engines.

The metal gasket is a lot thinner than the fibre one, there are also internal differences to the engine such as different pistons so, if you use a metal gasket instead of a fibre gasket you are very likely to have bent valves I'm afraid.

A compression test would be a good place to start though.
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

did engine get cam locks fitted on belt change?
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
Ive done numerous mix and match twinspark engine changes.The first thing is that an engine you perceive to be a particular type may already have been got at in terms of changing heads etc.
Just like your mechanic ive fitted a multi layed head gasket to a mix and match 2.0 litre twinspark engine and got valve to piston contact but it sounded like noisey tappets.I fitted a thicker composite gasket and got away with it, note there are more than one size of composite gasket and if the head has been resurfaced this can be an important factor.If the car runs ok untill the revs are up its unlikely to be poorly seated valves.The answer may be simple or it could be valve to piston clearance.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

gasket , head , sound , tapping